Energy Bills

58 watchers
jda
Dec 2022
10:47am, 7 Dec 2022
13,906 posts
  •  
jda
Depends on your tolerance for discomfort and also any difference in price/efficiency for slow heating vs fast heating. The house will lose more heat in total if it’s warmer for longer.
Dec 2022
10:50am, 7 Dec 2022
44,962 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Does anyone have an in-home display for their smart meter with a temp gauge on it? Is that the temp of the room the device is in? Or is it reading from where the smart meter is located (i.e. a cupboard on a wall somewhere)?

Assuming it's the room it's in then it is 15C in here just now and highest I have seen, even with our heating on is 16.5C. Is that warm or cold compared to everyone else?! :-) G
Dec 2022
11:03am, 7 Dec 2022
96,399 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I am on about that most of the time Happy. After riding/racing/training on bikes in winter, I never retired all my merino baselayers. They are being put to good use!
Dec 2022
11:07am, 7 Dec 2022
96,400 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Muttley, I experienced the same in my Passiv building. I now have my small oil filled radiator on low, on a thermostat, and it keeps the temperature stable. We have had two weeks of almost constant gloom and temperatures not above 5 degrees so what I thought would happen happened: the building is loosing heat faster than it gains because it isn't gaining.
I initially went without heat but it simply takes too long to heat things up that way and it needs an electricity heavy fan heater.
I found an old greenhouse heater, one of those tubes, I think they use very little. I may employ that as well, as background heat.
Dec 2022
12:41pm, 7 Dec 2022
928 posts
  •  
Shades
HappyG(rrr) my smart meter display shows temperature and it is temperature of the room the display unit is in. I did ask the engineer at the time and now it's obvious as my meter box is in an unheated hallway.
Dec 2022
4:06pm, 7 Dec 2022
44,964 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks Shades, yes, I did search online but there are different versions of the meter. But I decided it was room heat. I did an experiment and sat it on the radiator while central heating was on and it went up to 18 in a few minutes. So it was definitely a live and located thermometer! So, 15.5C at the mo. Need to put some more layers on! :-) G
Dec 2022
7:08pm, 7 Dec 2022
18,081 posts
  •  
KinkyS
I don't have a smart meter but I do have a climate station and it currently says 13C in the lounge having relented and put the heating on for an hour when I got home from work and it was 9C indoors. 15C would feel pleasant right now, 16.5C positively tropical! It's amazing how quickly the body adapts to the cold.

Is anyone else watching the forecast with trepidation and fear? It was forecast to go down to -1C here last night but we live in a cold pocket so it was actually -3C this morning. The next couple of days are forecasting -5C and I'd expect us to be a bit colder again.
Dec 2022
8:18pm, 7 Dec 2022
96,424 posts
  •  
Hanneke
It was -5 laat night and already -1.5 now, just returned from the shops...
I have turned the heating on... It is way too cold not to! Will light the fire too, to save on oil.
Dec 2022
9:35pm, 7 Dec 2022
44,966 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Only 0C here in Central Scotland. Will only drop to -2C overnight.

Does anyone use home automation like WiFi connected plugs, room temp gauges etc? Any recommendations?

Also, I quite fancy a wee outside weather station that records its data digitally to cloud or network. Again any tips?

Cheers
:-) G
Dec 2022
9:43pm, 7 Dec 2022
1,223 posts
  •  
JHollyBerry
my electricity meter is a smart meter (and in the outside store). The 'in house' display I unplugged shortly afterwards (a few years ago) and chucked in a drawer...

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
We’ve had word from our energy company that our direct debit from April onwards will be double the current amount. How’s everyone else fared?