lammo
On a slightly different tangent we had our smart meters installed today 😳
um
Dec 2022
9:19am, 6 Dec 2022
6,780 posts
  •  
um
Wait - what's Polly doing in the Lumberjack song. I've never spotted that before.

Log burners! Rel PitA here. On still days and evenings there's so much wood ash in the air, it's hard to breathe, and the smog/smell/pollution seems to settle all round. And only likely to get worse as there's a farly large amount of free wood all round. Unless someone puts in place, or enforces, proper emission controls.
Dec 2022
9:36am, 6 Dec 2022
44,947 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Really um? Where do you live that wood burners generate that much smoke and ash that it affects the air quality? That sounds like the chimneys of Victorian London?!

Def need to balance air quality and environmental factors. But people need to use something to heat their homes: green elec heat pumps are better than wood burners, are better than coal fires, are better than gas boilers, are better than oil boilers. But unless there is some magic way to re-build/insulate homes, and replace all with heat pumps AND increase electricity generation massively from renewable sources, then people will be "burning" something in their homes for heat.

Surely? :-) G
Dec 2022
12:28pm, 6 Dec 2022
96,333 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Indeed G!

Um, new log burners need to comply with new rules and if you have an old one that isn't compliant that needs repair, it gets condemned in stead and you need to replace it.
Issue of smoke and ash is caused by burning wet and/or inappropriate wood! My fire does not smoke after it gets going... In London we had to burn smokeless fuel which I did top up with stuff I fished out of skips 😎 Well, we bought a house with gas lighting, a loo in the cellar, with no plumbing, i.e. long drop, and working fireplaces in every room. We kept 4 of them going. Nothing beats a fire in your office, bedroom, library, sitting room... We did take out the kitchen one and two in the 2 remaining bedrooms though...
The gas lighting was replaced by electricity... And we put in two proper bathrooms.
There was a furnace in the cellar too, and a free standing roll top bath... We should never have sold that.
Victorian 1880s house, we were only the 3rd owners: the guy who was born there and died there being the 2nd owner and his parents bought it from new!
Dec 2022
3:48pm, 6 Dec 2022
3,882 posts
  •  
Pou Pou LePhoõk
If there's lots of smoke, it might either be an open fire or an old wood burning stove. And/or wet wood.

New stoves burn much more cleanly.
Dec 2022
3:55pm, 6 Dec 2022
44,952 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Wow amazing property story Hann. Sounds a nightmare (I don't like DIY or any building stuff really!) :-) G
Dec 2022
5:03pm, 6 Dec 2022
96,379 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Oh, for a couple of art dealers, it was a dream come true! A Victorian property in ORIGINAL condition!!!
Dec 2022
7:44pm, 6 Dec 2022
1,051 posts
  •  
Weath
Really um? Where do you live that wood burners generate that much smoke and ash that it affects the air quality?

It considerably affects and influences AQ and is a major emerging issue for environmental health teams who have to deal with air quality legislation compliance (as by the way are the noise complaints starting to come our way from ill-considered air source heat pumps installations .... )

"Domestic combustion is a major source of PM emissions in 2020, accounting for 15 per cent and 25 per cent of PM10 and PM2.5, respectively. Most emissions from this source come from burning wood in closed stoves and open fires."

gov.uk
Dec 2022
8:06pm, 6 Dec 2022
4,375 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
I just got back from a long weekend in a hotel, where it was far too hot, we had to turn all the heating off and sleep with the window open. I had to turn the heating on when I got home as my app was showing my rooms between 4-6.5 degrees. I thought that was pretty nippy so I had it on for 3 hours. It made a big difference.
Dec 2022
9:08am, 7 Dec 2022
2,075 posts
  •  
Muttley
The installed heating in Muttley Mansions is okay for maintaining a temperature but not enough to speedily reach it from a lower value. So having relented yesterday I had a couple of standalone radiators on as well. And ran up consumption for the day of about a fiver, which is more than twice what I would expect at this time of year. But now the place is up to temperature and the panels are generating as the sun is out so hopefully today will be easier on the wallet.

I think the lesson for next time is to put the heating on earlier before it gets too cold, to avoid it having to gallop to catch up.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
We’ve had word from our energy company that our direct debit from April onwards will be double the current amount. How’s everyone else fared?