Elite Athletics Thread

2 lurkers | 162 watchers
Aug 2022
9:23am, 8 Aug 2022
20,144 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Europeans start a week today. :-)

Monday morning M + W marathons if you like that sort of thing ;-)
Aug 2022
11:10am, 9 Aug 2022
18,665 posts
  •  
larkim
theguardian.com

A sour note after the CWG exploits. Appalling behaviour. Will be interesting to see what the reaction is as most outside the sport will know of him from his JEH relationship and successes.
Aug 2022
11:27am, 9 Aug 2022
1,585 posts
  •  
paulcook
Pretty speechless reading all those charges.
Aug 2022
11:36am, 9 Aug 2022
124 posts
  •  
hellywobs
Me too - it sounded shocking. I know he had a "stormy" relationship with JEH on occasion, but they worked things out - she said so in her autobiography, but there was no suggestion that he ever acted in an inappropriate way. I can't remember who else trained with him now, presumably all of this happened before he started working exclusively with Jess.
Aug 2022
11:49am, 9 Aug 2022
20,148 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Am appalled and deeply saddened by this news. I know an athlete who worked with Minichello post Ennis-Hill, she wasn't happy and changed coaches but that's as much as she said at the time.

I was all, 'Oh lucky you in Tony Minichello's group...'

These issues - in sport as in other situations - are not going away anytime soon, are they?
Aug 2022
12:27pm, 9 Aug 2022
77,642 posts
  •  
Gobi
I can actually picture the tone and types of comments. It's how it was in the 1990s/2000s

Football/Roller Hockey - lots of running like a fag / dont be such a baby / you big girl etc...../ manually putting someone in the correct body position . Being dragged to the right place. Name calling - I was known as big nose among the more polite things for years.

I'm a little old school and I know how my coaching / language / behaviours have had to change.

(For the better i might add)

I'm no saint though id like to think i wasn't ever a bully.

However, pretty sure at points it depends on your disposition exactly what is right or wrong. I can be very blunt!

The private life comment was interesting as i know I was questioned more than once about what I was doing at certain points and as a hockey coach of teenagers questioning their Saturday night ahead of a big game.
Aug 2022
1:38pm, 9 Aug 2022
34,666 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
theguardian.com A sour note after the CWG exploits. Appalling behaviour. Will be interesting to see what the reaction is as most outside the sport will know of him from his JEH relationship and successes.

Sickening, I wanted to believe that it was false allegations , he disgusts me :-(
SPR
Aug 2022
1:47pm, 9 Aug 2022
37,902 posts
  •  
SPR
Lifetime ban is the correct action. Appalling behaviour indeed.
Aug 2022
11:29am, 10 Aug 2022
125 posts
  •  
hellywobs
According to the report in the Times, he claims he wasn't given a fair hearing and that he wasn't even in the UK when one of the incidents is supposed to have happened. That is only one incident though.
Aug 2022
1:11pm, 10 Aug 2022
18,666 posts
  •  
larkim
I read that too. I'm treating it with a "he would say that, wouldn't be" attitude for the time being. I'd rather "trust the process" though I'm aware that UKA has had its critics in the past for the way it conducts it's business, and it would not be good if he found a way to challenge the ruling successfully by disputing the fairness of the process without actually overturning the findings of every allegation.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
A thread to discuss any interesting stories or developments in elite athletics.

If there's anything that would be useful to add to the links or here, let me know.

If you enjoy watching athletics why not have a go yourself? If you have any questions about how to go about doing that, ask on the Track & Field Fetchies thread. Someone is bound to be able to help:

fetcheveryone.com/forum/track-field-fetchies-6378/

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.