Salty Dog
brilliant! Cheers, got it now.
SPR
Apr 2021
10:05am, 7 Apr 2021
33,838 posts
  •  
SPR
No one mentioned the women's HM record being broken (29 secs) by Ruth Chepngetich on Sunday. Was there a collective shrug or people just missed it?
Apr 2021
10:09am, 7 Apr 2021
19,403 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Yes I saw that. I did wonder if the women’s hM hadn’t been a very competitive mark and so there is a mix of that plus the shoes being factors as we have seen that record being reset in recent years.
SPR
Apr 2021
10:26am, 7 Apr 2021
33,840 posts
  •  
SPR
This is the HM progression: en.wikipedia.org

I'm not convinced that the previous record was weak.
Apr 2021
10:45am, 7 Apr 2021
1,976 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Guilty of a bit of a shrug here. Looks an incredible time given the quality/times in the men’s race in the same conditions.

Btw I guess most folks will have heard/read enough about the recent Olympic marathon trials at Kew but I just listened to the Sunday Plodcast (“Bonus Episode”) recorded with Tom Bedford before the event. Some great insights and predictions. A nice listen if you fancy a bit of company on an easy run.
Apr 2021
11:37am, 7 Apr 2021
2,541 posts
  •  
Oranj
It was fairly early in the Sunday morning, I caught the tail end of the coverage.

They went out hard and hung on. I guess the record was the result of a less conservative approach, as much as anything. Women's distance racing has become less of a time trial and is all the better for it.
SPR
Apr 2021
11:53am, 7 Apr 2021
33,842 posts
  •  
SPR
Looks to me like they ran pretty much even pace so exactly how you'd expect a record to be broken even in a TT, no hanging on.

Jepkosgei still holds the road 10km record from when she set her then HM record in 2017 so it wasn't less conservative than that run.
Apr 2021
12:02pm, 7 Apr 2021
19,407 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Yeah, I wasnt saying the previous record was weak, but the womens record has been reduced quite often in the recent past. Its also confused by womens only and raced with men records. Sundays time was a sizeable step. Was sundays a mixed race ?

Some of the WRs were further back in time than I recalled.
SPR
Apr 2021
5:58pm, 9 Apr 2021
33,876 posts
  •  
SPR
Poor from the selectors if what is stated here is correct: athleticsweekly.com
Apr 2021
6:50pm, 9 Apr 2021
19,429 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
That does make the selection seem to be a bit odd

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
A thread to discuss any interesting stories or developments in elite athletics.

If there's anything that would be useful to add to the links or here, let me know.

If you enjoy watching athletics why not have a go yourself? If you have any questions about how to go about doing that, ask on the Track & Field Fetchies thread. Someone is bound to be able to help:

fetcheveryone.com/forum/track-field-fetchies-6378/

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.