Elite Athletics Thread

5 lurkers | 162 watchers
Oct 2020
11:06am, 9 Oct 2020
2,280 posts
  •  
Oranj
I think smart glasses still exist, although GPS watch technology is only just catching up to be good enough for use on a track.

I'd have liked some sort of light tech the last time I did a graded race. Our pacer was mates with one of the fastest runners in my heat, and the pair of them hared off at more than 5s/lap faster than the required pace :-(
Oct 2020
11:10am, 9 Oct 2020
42 posts
  •  
riggys99
They have smart goggles for swimming but not sure how good or accurate they are
Oct 2020
11:27am, 9 Oct 2020
20,966 posts
  •  
Dvorak
SPR, they did have multiple lights in the 10 000m. There were runners going for 27 minutes and they had white pace lights. I don't know how any of them got on, though Shadrack was mentioned as one, and he was lapped (with around 600m to go?). Though I guess anyone who wasn't lapped, and even some who were, would be finishing in 26/27.xx. They mentioned that one of the Dutch runners involved (not the pacemaker) was the person who devised the lights system.

If anyone was wondering about the Turia, where the stadium was, it is the dry bed of the river which used to run through, and frequently flood, Valencia. After one flood too many, the river was diverted to the south of the city and the resulting area redeveloped for parks, gardens and leisure. Las Ciencias, where the marathon finishes, is down towards the Mediterranean end of it. Valencia is a great city to visit, and to run in, and once we can travel again, I'd recommend it to anyone, races or not (and they have, normally, a lot of races.)
Oct 2020
11:30am, 9 Oct 2020
12,266 posts
  •  
larkim
What were the red lights for at Valencia by the way? Every now and then they'd appear ahead of Cheptegei, then he'd run through them, then they'd disappear out the back.
SPR
Oct 2020
11:41am, 9 Oct 2020
31,918 posts
  •  
SPR
Thanks Dvorak and Riggsy, didn't know both those pieces of info in regards to lights.
Oct 2020
12:37pm, 9 Oct 2020
30,720 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
I believe the red lights were for another group, PB challenge or such like.
Oct 2020
1:05pm, 9 Oct 2020
45,578 posts
  •  
runnerbean
I preferred the CGI of Haillie running around the track 😂 on one of the meetings not long ago, sad that the athletes couldn’t see him though
SPR
Oct 2020
1:24pm, 9 Oct 2020
31,924 posts
  •  
SPR
Maybe they can have CGI of each competitor in line with their PB. Hopefully they improve the representation of running form though, lol.
Oct 2020
1:53pm, 9 Oct 2020
43 posts
  •  
riggys99
I liked the haille CGI as well. It was at the hour record. Maybe they could have one from each decade or previous WR. It would be a good visual of how the record has improved showing how far in front the new record holder finished in front of the old ones
Oct 2020
9:15pm, 15 Oct 2020
4,094 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
World Half Marathon Champs from Poland on Saturday.

Women - 10am, Men 11:30am on the BBC ( not sure if Red Button, or bbc1/2 ) and also on the World Athletics youtube channel

Cheptegei will be favourite in men's race, but they say there's 15 guys with a pb under 60 mins.

Sifan Hassan favourite for the women.

worldathletics.org

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
A thread to discuss any interesting stories or developments in elite athletics.

If there's anything that would be useful to add to the links or here, let me know.

If you enjoy watching athletics why not have a go yourself? If you have any questions about how to go about doing that, ask on the Track & Field Fetchies thread. Someone is bound to be able to help:

fetcheveryone.com/forum/track-field-fetchies-6378/

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.