Elite Athletics Thread

1 lurker | 162 watchers
15 Apr
5:14pm, 15 Apr 2024
23,772 posts
  •  
larkim
Negative split too; impressive control and pacing.
15 Apr
5:14pm, 15 Apr 2024
3,395 posts
  •  
Big_G
Great running from Obiri. She’s got a very laboured style, but that’s back-to-back Boston wins for her. It was neck and neck but she eased away with 5K to go for the win. Kiplagat takes 3rd.

Hassan and Obiri could be interesting in Paris. It’s apparently not a flat course and Obiri obviously knows how to race on a tough course.
15 Apr
7:55pm, 15 Apr 2024
2,608 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
I love the whole Boston vibe. And I really like marathons with no pacers, as a runner or a spectator. If I could have one “groundhog” marathon trip it would be Boston.

What a fantastic day’s racing!?
15 Apr
9:07pm, 15 Apr 2024
3,396 posts
  •  
Big_G
SailorSteve, I agree. I’ve been lucky enough to do quite a lot of marathons, including quite a lot in Europe and I’ve got lots of favourites, but Boston is easily the top of the list. Everything about it is simply fantastic. When I did it, I didn’t think I’d be bothered about all the pre-race stuff, but I was even interested in all the chat about qualifying times, what colour the jacket would be, weather-watch, etc.

Come race weekend, the whole city seems to embrace the race, with so many locals asking if I was doing to marathon, wishing me luck etc. And then race day, it is an early start and logistics need to be thought about, but in some ways in hindsight I think that is just part of the day out. The school bus to the start, getting called to the start wave, the different vibe around the majority being qualifiers, the nature of the challenging course and figuring out how to go about running it, and so many memorable moments like the scream tunnel, and ‘right on Hereford, left on Boylston’, and then going past the memorials for the bombings just before the finish. It’s just a fantastic race and I’d I’d love to go back. There’s a pic of me crossing the line and I have my hands over my face, trying to keep my emotions in check, which I just about managed to do. That was my 98th marathon so you’d think I’d have got used to them, but Boston really got to me.

I did London 6 days after and I think because I’m used to it and have done it before, it felt like a comfy pair of slippers in comparison to the excitement of Boston. Honestly, if someone loves marathons and gets a chance to go to Boston, I’d thoroughly recommend it to anyone. I think the only downside really is that it’s difficult for spectators to see you more than a couple of times, due to the point to point nature of the course and public transport not being great to get out to view the runners. Also, logistics can be a worry depending on where you’re staying, but they can be sorted.

It’s also fairly easy to get to NYC on the Amtrak (4hrs) if people want to go somewhere else before/after, which I think quite a few do.
15 Apr
9:13pm, 15 Apr 2024
2,609 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Great summary Big_G 😁
15 Apr
10:04pm, 15 Apr 2024
17,816 posts
  •  
57.5 Days of Pain
Nice summary indeed. But why would you travel anywhere else afterwards when you can tour dozens of memorials to the UK getting it's butt kicked ;) ?

I'd add wearing your medal the next day and getting continued kudos in the city as a feature of the race. Plus it's quite easy to find friends and family afterwards.
15 Apr
10:06pm, 15 Apr 2024
49,830 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I wondered where that post got to larkim ! Sorry for any confusion. :-) G
16 Apr
8:21am, 16 Apr 2024
4,129 posts
  •  
Oranj
I think Boston is helped by it being a holiday in Massachusetts (Patriots' Day). I'm sure that engenders a celebratory atmosphere.
16 Apr
8:24am, 16 Apr 2024
23,776 posts
  •  
larkim
They also tell themselves they are the most important marathon race in the world (in typically US mentality). And it undoubtedly is the most historic of the majors, so they have a point I suppose.
4:54pm
4:54pm, 19 Apr 2024
23,826 posts
  •  
larkim
Oops.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
A thread to discuss any interesting stories or developments in elite athletics.

If there's anything that would be useful to add to the links or here, let me know.

If you enjoy watching athletics why not have a go yourself? If you have any questions about how to go about doing that, ask on the Track & Field Fetchies thread. Someone is bound to be able to help:

fetcheveryone.com/forum/track-field-fetchies-6378/

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.