Electric car anyone?

72 watchers
Apr 2021
11:45pm, 16 Apr 2021
13,936 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
And to some extent the whole argument about the cost and range of EVs is irrelevant, because by about 2030-5, most people will be using uber-style autonomous vehicles (which will all be EVs)

Why?

Because that will be cheaper than buying a car that sits around for 95% of the time doing nothing.

The global "car" fleet will apparently fall to 20% of the current level
Apr 2021
12:20am, 17 Apr 2021
13,937 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Actually TMW, time has already told I think.

I think we are past the inflection point on the S curve.

I'll have to check on the data. It was predicted to be 2020-21, but the pandemic may have tweaked that slightly.

Wind and solar are ahead of predictions, EV more or less on target, but we're behind on electrification of other forms of transportation, power generation and grid storage.

And way behind on renewable heat and insulation.

Of course we use more energy globally in cooling than in heating.

And no, hydrogen is not the answer. It has a niche place, but it's basically the new "gas bridge" hope for those who like monetisation of supply chains.

Its just too lossy.

Why use renewable electricity to generate H2 (efficiency less than 100%) and store it, then use electricity to move H2, then burn it to generate electricity to drive whatever?

Instead we could just generate electricity (including by solar PV on our house roofs) and use that. Yes there are some transmission losses, but nowhere near the H2 losses.

I think it's simply a sop to the FF industry as you can generate H2 from natural gas and so allows the fat cats to keep digging up oil and gas.
Apr 2021
12:53am, 17 Apr 2021
2,629 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Sorry I asked questions, shall leave you to it fozzy.
Apr 2021
1:07am, 17 Apr 2021
13,938 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Ask questions by all means HT, but let's keep the discussion grounded in fact rather than throwing unsubstantiated numbers about range, battery life etc.

As I've said on the politics thread, post sources if you're using numbers to support your arguments.

And yes, I should have posted some sources this evening, but I'm too tired.
Apr 2021
7:17am, 17 Apr 2021
2,630 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
ev-database.uk
Apr 2021
7:18am, 17 Apr 2021
2,631 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
zap-map.com
Apr 2021
7:19am, 17 Apr 2021
2,632 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
https://www.drivingelectric.com/peugeot/208/range#:~:text=The%20Peugeot%20e%2D208%20has,motorway%20journeys%20or%20in%20winter.
Apr 2021
7:38am, 17 Apr 2021
6,264 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
The other factor I've not seen discussed is that temperature effects the range. Living in the Fens (and it's really flat) with the milder temperatures I'm not going to see the significant fluctuations of somebody living in Scotland with regards to range. Even the manufacturers suggest this could be a swing of almost 50% reduction in mid-winter compared to mid-summer.
Apr 2021
9:02am, 17 Apr 2021
174 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
No expert but I think heat pumps can mitigate the effect of range reduction due to driving cold weather. It was an option for ID4 I purchased recently, you can add them on afterwards but costs a good bit more.

Would love to see autonomous driving take off, mainly on grounds of safety improving. My pet hate is rush hour drivers ploughing through red lights because they've waited in a queue and then feel entitled to ignore rules/everyone else for a bit.
Apr 2021
1:42pm, 17 Apr 2021
14,046 posts
  •  
larkim
My car's range fell from a "in my real world" 185m to about 135-40 in the coldest, windiest parts of winter. And broadly the longer the journey, the less the impact of temps on range as the battery warmed up.

I think fozzy is spot on in most of the analysis, apart from the conversion of autonomous, pay as you go style of ownership. I think we'll still be some way from that by the early 2030s, but I've no problem with being proven wrong. We're too accustomed to instant availability of transport to make the switch I think, though the prevalence of those sorts of services will definitely increase and make PAYG personal transport a solid option that some will take up.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.