Electric car anyone?

71 watchers
Apr 2021
9:32pm, 16 Apr 2021
95 posts
  •  
Dave..M
TMW I think that should read "may have been unviable". If my understanding is correct (and I'm only an interested onlooker at this point) the rate of battery degradation depends on how the battery is used. Surely a low mileage EV would not have many charge cycles, therefore the battery would not have degraded as much as a higher mileage example?
I would expect that the estimated 8 year life is based on "typical useage"
Apr 2021
9:34pm, 16 Apr 2021
8,369 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I guess I need to own one for 8 years to find out.
Apr 2021
9:34pm, 16 Apr 2021
2,626 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
What is the "acceptable" battery degradation accounted for on that 8 year warranty?
I assume (maybe wrongly) that they are not guaranteeing a 100% out the factory showroom power storage in the battery by years 7/8!?
Apr 2021
9:41pm, 16 Apr 2021
14,045 posts
  •  
larkim
70% capacity I believe is the floor level for 100000 miles / 8 years.
Apr 2021
10:01pm, 16 Apr 2021
2,627 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
So with the e208 for example.
It has an official 217m range out the box, but real world I have seen stated more like 150 for motorway driving or winter driving.
Few years down the line that "may" then be nearer 110m approx!?

Daily short commute fine.
That visit to family other end of country, holiday c. 300miles away less so.
Apr 2021
10:23pm, 16 Apr 2021
2,628 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Motorhomes seem to have hit a real all time high in their popularity here in the UK and around the world.
What does the EV market look like on these?
I don't imagine those that have bought an ICE one new recently or intend to in next few years will be in a hurry to convert and ditch what they have.
Apr 2021
10:50pm, 16 Apr 2021
22,282 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Every household has a new or newish electric car and an old (and long-lasting, as used less and only for longer trips) ICE vehicle for longer trips? I'm currently driving a 19 year old, but low milage for age, Renault Scenic which is doing absolutely fine (did need some repairs, including an odd one, last year).
Apr 2021
11:26pm, 16 Apr 2021
13,934 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I see the usual nonsense is still being trotted out.

Lots of assumptions being made about battery life seem to have been driving the discussion based on no evidence. 5 years lifecycle is nonsense btw. They are designed to last longer than that and there are many many viable options about to come to market with faster charging and longer range.

Most of the fear is about "my life is going to have to change" (typical conservatism) - well guess what, yes it is. Some things will be slightly different.

Ask questions by all means but please also accept the answers.

There are still problems with EVs. There aren't enough charging points yet, the upfront costs are still too high, the charging times are still slightly too long and the range too short.

All of these will be solved and in the next few years. This whole discussion will look stupid by 2025. Much like the arguments over solar PV or wind turbine power generation 5 years ago.

If you're complaining about the wealthy being the first to adopt new technologies, then we need to talk about better redistributive tax system to make a general fairer society as I don't know of anything that was adopted that wasn't first adopted by the wealthy. That's why the "S" curve looks like it does.
Apr 2021
11:33pm, 16 Apr 2021
13,935 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Sorry, I get fed up by the same arguments being trotted out time again when they have been debunked already.

I remember all these being discussed on the cleantechnica message boards 5 years and the progress is almost exactly where it's supposed to be.

cleantechnica.com
Apr 2021
11:37pm, 16 Apr 2021
8,370 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Let’s see what the situation is

like in 2025 then. I’m sure the situation will improve but a viable second hand market is needed.

If they make an electric VW Up / Toyato Aygo available new at 10-12k price then that could be a gamechanger.

I’m suspicious that the EV lifecycle will be akin to other technology viewed as semi-disposable eg laptops and phones.

Time will tell, as fozzy says.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.