Electric car anyone?

1 lurker | 72 watchers
Apr 2021
7:11pm, 16 Apr 2021
2,623 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Thanks for the reasonable/simplistic fuel comparison. Makes sense.
I guess it's not "really" relevant to isolate one part of cost of ownership though is it?

Would it be fair to say by your examples you would require 3 new EV cars per every 2 ICE cars you would previously went through larkim?

A well maintained 6 - 8 year old ICE car depending on its "level" would/could still hold a reasonable resale value.
Going on the c. 8 year battery expected useful life does an EV hold any value as it approaches that age?

How good for the environment really is it if we are replacing cars/manufacturing new ones every 5 - 8 years (per owner)

I may need to speak to various mechanics I know again as from recollection they were less dismissive of the issues of ICE v EV for them and their various garage set ups than you suggest.
jda
Apr 2021
7:18pm, 16 Apr 2021
9,904 posts
  •  
jda
It’s only the battery that degrades more rapidly and hopefully that will be replaceable/serviceable to some extent. Agree this is a major issue to consider however.
Apr 2021
7:24pm, 16 Apr 2021
6,261 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
What about the longevity of the electric motors?
jda
Apr 2021
7:29pm, 16 Apr 2021
9,907 posts
  •  
jda
Nothing’s forever but I’d be surprised if they didn’t last much better than ICE which have to withstand huge heating and forces and airtight pistons etc. Electric motors are very simple things. Not an expert though, maybe someone will contradict me.
Apr 2021
7:31pm, 16 Apr 2021
14,041 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm pretty sure motors are fairly indestructible / robust. Certainly not heard any chatter on EV forums about that being a "thing" to worry about.
Apr 2021
7:33pm, 16 Apr 2021
14,042 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm definitely in a lucky spot in that for me the cost of ownership is identical save for the fuel because the car is supplied on Motability. The identical ICE version of the car would be the same "finance" cost for me, and both deals would include all servicing, insurance etc. So for me fuel is literally the only distinguishing factor.

I do recognise that that's not the case for most though.
Apr 2021
7:35pm, 16 Apr 2021
2,624 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
JDA, That is the rather large elephant in the room though, is it not.
The battery is far and away the most expensive element of the car (the reason they are ridiculously expensive in the first place).
As we all know lithium batteries do degrade and there is not a "fix".
"IF" the future is to be EV, then should it not be another battery tech some manufacturers are looking at/using?

Replacement while possible just doesn't make financial sense.
So it's rape earth of further limited supplies of previous element to build another new car.
Apr 2021
7:37pm, 16 Apr 2021
2,625 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Yes, for those in the position and in example such as your own I can fully understand the choice larkim.
As you state that is not position of most.
Apr 2021
8:59pm, 16 Apr 2021
8,368 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Interesting about maintenance, that’s something I hadn’t considered.

My merc as I said is 12 years old, low mileage, very little maintenance issues and drives like a dream. If it was electric it would have been unviable 4 years ago due to battery
Apr 2021
9:26pm, 16 Apr 2021
14,044 posts
  •  
larkim
It may well be that concerns about batteries are overstated.

Bear in mind phone and laptop batteries have many many more charge / discharge power cycles than EV batteries will be exposed to, yet fundamentally they are very similar techs. Batteries may well last sufficiently well beyond the warranty periods. My car has an 8 year warranty, but warranty periods are normally a manufacturers pretty cautious estimate of the period through which they expect few problems. Sound expect most Peugeot batteries to last a good way beyond that 8 year period.

We don't refuse to buy cars which have 5 year warranties, and those warranties don't bankrupt the manufacturer with a litany of claims.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.