•  
Garfield
*chuckles* ;)
Jan 2021
5:38pm, 27 Jan 2021
5,016 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
just been out in the car and when I got to it the battery had gone down to from 51% -> 24% charge. All it had done was sit on the roadside since lunchtime.

Hmm...

Hopefully just a 1st charge / use issue rather than a battery issue in a brand new car!
Jan 2021
6:08pm, 27 Jan 2021
13,356 posts
  •  
larkim
You definitely need to get to used to what the various battery meters etc say. My e208 is very sensitive to the driving experience immediately before a charge. So if I careen downhill for 4 or 5 miles and then charge up, it will report a massive range, whereas if I drive uphill it will be poor.

Definitely sounds like your better half needs to get clued up as to where the chargers are and how to use them!! Worth getting that nailed before you run out of electrons!
Mar 2021
6:31pm, 15 Mar 2021
4,416 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Surprisingly, some of the latest diesel cars coming out ahead of PHEVs, when measured using the Clean Air Index, in this survey by Green NCAP.
autoexpress.co.uk

How are the new(ish) BEV drivers getting on, any range or charging problems encountered recently ?
Mar 2021
8:06pm, 15 Mar 2021
5,066 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
a few challenges Gus. Had the charge point put in the garage in the end. Can’t get a modern car in there but can charge by wire under the closed door. Needed an upgraded power supply to the garage 1st, then the charge point, then needed to get Wi-Fi to the garage for the pod to do software updates, then finally got to charge!! No massive issues but all expense and hassle for the new user.

It’s still a very slow charge atm. Awaiting some more software updates to the car and the charge pod, apparently!

Car is a brilliant drive. Crazy dangerous for the Sunday morning coffee drinking brigade (cyclists) in town but such fun to drive. Haven’t been anywhere too far in it yet and will certainly need to get over some range anxiety issues before it becomes more than a novelty. Driving my 23 miles to the office in the morning and taking the petrol car, I suppose that says something.
Mar 2021
10:04pm, 15 Mar 2021
13,760 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm still in the zero hassle camp, been pretty faultless ATM. Range down to about 125-135 miles from the full 46kWh in the very cold weather, getting back up to 140+ and should be back to 180-200 when it gets warmer again, but with my use case as a 40m commute unaffected.
Mar 2021
10:09am, 18 Mar 2021
117 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
gov.uk

"From today (18 March 2021), the government will provide grants of up to £2,500 for electric vehicles on cars priced under £35,000."

We've ordered a VW ID.4 and it sounds like the dealer will be able to claim the subsidy for 3k as we signed paperwork for the order before today, delivery scheduled for end of March.

Will be our first BEV (only had petrol/diesel before) so am still trying to arrange installation of home charging point.
Mar 2021
10:15am, 18 Mar 2021
5,438 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
I do so few miles currently, fuzzy, that I’m still charging mine off a domestic socket in the garage.

What’s the manufacturer’s stated range for your car, WW? We took ours on holiday 140 miles away with no significant anxiety (although one of the hotels did have a charger). If you can’t do a 46 mile round trip then maybe it needs looking at?
Mar 2021
10:26am, 18 Mar 2021
5,071 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
nice looking car there Fuzz and that seems a very quick delivery outlook. Great!

I did get brave and do the 46 mile round trip in the BEV in the end and it chewed up about 25% of the battery charge. Anxiety over. 1st time on the motorway, need to be careful with the car's ability to accelerate almost lag-free even at higher speeds!!

Still an issue with the charge point though. 24 hours charging only added 50% charge @ less than 3 kW/h. Problem I have is that everything is owned by Mrs WW who has a less proactive stance on getting things fixed than I do. Patience required.
Mar 2021
10:29am, 18 Mar 2021
5,439 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
You’d get more charge out of a domestic socket :-0

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.