Electric car anyone?

71 watchers
Jan 2021
7:21pm, 11 Jan 2021
4,290 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
First BEV with a solid-state, rather than lithium, battery due end of 2022 from Chinese company NIO it's claimed
pistonheads.com

Getting a range in the 500-600 miles region, plus faster charging times and extended battery life, will persuade a lot more people to change I'd imagine, assuming prices aren't too prohibitive.
Jan 2021
8:16pm, 11 Jan 2021
1,878 posts
  •  
runnyeyes
Now.... that would certainly alter the game. Thanks for the info
Jan 2021
10:04pm, 11 Jan 2021
13,971 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
That's a lot more useful as a car! Thanks Gus.
I shall watch with interest.
Jan 2021
7:26am, 12 Jan 2021
37,013 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'd rather shorter range, cheaper but with the space, comfort and features of my current car. All innovations are good. Just hope cost comes down.
Jan 2021
7:50am, 12 Jan 2021
13,187 posts
  •  
larkim
Looking forward over the next few years to lots of innovation. 10 minutes to recharge and 600+ miles of range is so close to ICE capabilities that the difference is negligible. Of course, to put that amount of charge into a car quickly requires a *lot* of electrons, and the infrastructure for that is nowhere near being ready.
Jan 2021
4:03pm, 27 Jan 2021
5,015 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
so, the XC40 BEV arrived today. It's on 51% charge, we don't yet have a charge point at home and Mrs WW hasn't signed up to any on-street charging providers yet (it's her car) so we're not going far!! Details in her life though, details.

I've been around the block a couple of times in it and it's certainly fun. I'm used to driving my 350 bhp gas-guzzler and this little thing is way faster and the no-lag power effect it very cool. The fact that it drives like a bumper car is a bit weird though - I mean you take your foot off the accelerator and it starts to slow down instantly. I hear that's the most efficient way for them to be set-up but that it can be changed in the settings, that's going to be something to play with for sure.

Onwards with the new lifestyle though. My beloved but extremely enviro-unfriendly SQ5 leaves us tomorrow. :-(
Jan 2021
4:07pm, 27 Jan 2021
37,312 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah, you can set regen braking on most BEV cars to be more ICE like and allow it to "coast" and then actively use brake pedal (which still initially doesn't apply brakes but uses motor braking, to recharge the battery). I said I'd never have a Volvo, but I'd have that XC40 electric in a flash, if it didn't cost twice as much as the petrol (which is a bargain at the mo as they're trying to offload them!) :-) G
Jan 2021
4:09pm, 27 Jan 2021
5,203 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
I like the braking on mine, and haven’t fiddled with the settings at all.
Jan 2021
4:12pm, 27 Jan 2021
13,352 posts
  •  
larkim
Ooh, exciting. The power delivery of electric is fun! I like the bumper car thing, in the e208 we have a choice of "D" mode (which it engages by default) and "B" mode. B is closer to the single foot driving experience.

Be wary though that if the car is fully charged it may not deploy the regen braking as vigorously (or at all). In the e208 at >95% charge there's no regen braking applied at all (I suppose the logic is that you can't put more power back into a battery which is practically full anyway, or at least not in a way that isn't harmful). Not sure if that's what the Volvo does too.

Definitely jealous!
Jan 2021
4:15pm, 27 Jan 2021
37,314 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm not allowed to be jealous. My religion doesn't allow it. *whistles*. Where's the green face icon?! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.