Electric car anyone?

71 watchers
Sep 2022
3:46pm, 29 Sep 2022
11,531 posts
  •  
lammo
Afternoon all, i collected our second hand leaf last week, and so far so good, had the charger installed today so that will make life easier.

Driving it is a bit weird, i don't have as much feel about how fast i'm going.

No news from Hyundai on the new car order yet :-)
Sep 2022
3:48pm, 29 Sep 2022
44,047 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, how old and what spec is it lammo?

Unlike 18 months ago when I leased cos I wasn't sure about 2nd hand EVs, I would happily buy 2nd hand EV now. :-) G
Sep 2022
3:59pm, 29 Sep 2022
6,232 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Judging speed is the thing I find more difficult as well, but apart from that I love everything about my EV.
Sep 2022
4:01pm, 29 Sep 2022
19,130 posts
  •  
larkim
Just crashed (metaphorically) through 30000 miles in the e208. It's not really missed a beat in that time but I am starting to get intermittent issues which are apparently to do with the On Board Charger developing some faults. It shows up by the car stopping charging on AC in the middle of a charge; and I tend to find out about that only when I get to the car in the morning.

I did think originally it was the charger, but the Peugeot FB group's accumulated knowledge suggests otherwise.

The OBC (as I understand it) converts the AC 7kw input to whatever is needed for the battery (the rapid DC chargers don't go via that, but I rarely use them). But I've flagged it to the dealer ahead of the 32000 service and will be warranty covered.
Sep 2022
4:02pm, 29 Sep 2022
19,131 posts
  •  
larkim
It's funny, on the speed thing - even if I'm not trying, i drive slower in the EV than I do in the diesel i800. I just find it all more relaxing and leisurely!
Sep 2022
4:25pm, 29 Sep 2022
11,533 posts
  •  
lammo
HappyG(rrr) It's a 17 plate tekna 30Kw, so all bells and whistles, and doesn't seem to have lost any range, and is on good condition generally.

Mrs lammo can charge it for free at her office, and its less than a 20 mile round trip, so that's good too.

larkim hmm, not sure i've done enough driving yet to ascertain whether i'm going any faster or slower, just that i don't feel the speed like i could, i'll have a think about that
Sep 2022
5:09pm, 29 Sep 2022
6,236 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I think I have a tendency to speed up - but certainly I do find it more relaxing and apparently leisurely
Oct 2022
5:10pm, 5 Oct 2022
11,538 posts
  •  
lammo
Can i ask about servicing?

Do i need to get my Leaf serviced? What do they actually do?
Oct 2022
5:17pm, 5 Oct 2022
19,196 posts
  •  
larkim
They should just be looking at the mechanical parts (e.g. suspension, shocks, brakes) as they would at a "normal" car, and maybe applying a software update or two if the clever stuff has got cleverer. No oil change, no timing belt changes etc etc. so should be relatively cheap.
WA
Oct 2022
5:32pm, 5 Oct 2022
10,285 posts
  •  
WA
Hello! We've just ordered our first electric car using a workplace lease scheme. It'll be our *local* car, covering lots of short journeys. As such we've gone for the car we really liked as opposed to the one with the biggest range. We will still have a larger family car for everything else, altho the local bits are by far the greatest overall mileage I think.
My question is about regenerative braking. As we live up a hill the start of every journey will be downhill. Will it be a waste to charge the car to full at home? Would we be better (more efficient) charging to, say, 80-90%, and using regen breaking to top it up? Thank you :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.