Electric car anyone?

72 watchers
Aug 2022
5:47pm, 22 Aug 2022
46,203 posts
  •  
DocM
The leaf does exactly what it says on the tin. It's totally functional. My biggest issue with it is the massive blindspot caused by the A pillar. Other than that it's just bigger than we need it to be.
Aug 2022
6:14pm, 22 Aug 2022
3,320 posts
  •  
JRitchie
We have a Hypervolt 7kwh on outside of our garage. £1,200 for the unit and installation (just after the grants ended). I don’t have an external charger near and I like the flexibility and convenient of having it near. Especially on the handful of occasions I’ve needed to do a full charge overnight for a long journey.

HG thinking about you earlier post about your trip - I’m currently sitting in the Perth EV charging area off Brixton roundabout. Lots of units (lots of services about as well).
Aug 2022
8:19pm, 22 Aug 2022
25,827 posts
  •  
Dvorak
[He'll barely have left the house when he hits Broxden ;-) ]

Where I live there are two sets of public chargepoints within four minutes walk. One gets some use; the other very seldom. There's another (also little used afaik) about seven minutes walk away. And another bank of about eight chargers, three minutes away, although I believe they are only for council vehicles.
Aug 2022
8:36pm, 22 Aug 2022
3,321 posts
  •  
JRitchie
Dvorak Doh!! 🤦.

An oasis of current too close to home (I arrived there with 8% left coming back from Glasgow).
Aug 2022
8:28am, 23 Aug 2022
43,418 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The distribution of them is weird!

Thanks for thinking of me JR. I will actually have enough time to stop for 30 mins no problem. If I leave at 12 for a 5.30 ferry (you can step on just 10 mins before ferry goes) with a 3:45 drive, that's over an hour in hand. So I'll prob stop Aviemore or Inverness.

I had a "try" last night! Went to the Halbeath bus Park and Ride. Loads of chargers. I don't understand that some of them are one brand, some another. I have the ChargePlace Scotland card, and it worked fine. I was confused at the end whether it was asking me for a payment card, did it mean my bank debit card, but apparently the CPS card is also payment.

Forgot that top up slows down at the end (I was at 90% plus) so it still took a while for the last few kWh.

And one for the Environment thread, but the guy who rocked up with MG5 waiting for me to finish (so I spoke to him and said I was just playing, so I would end my charge there!) was starting a new business doing combined electric heating and solar panel installs, undercutting the "Fisher" heating. So I got his number! :-) G
Aug 2022
2:59pm, 25 Aug 2022
43,479 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
So my long journey recharge conundrum?

Charger blocked by... an Electric Vehicle charging show!!

I sh*t you not!

However in the Happy World, I got chatting to the guy and he said I'll just stop now and you can use it. And told me all about their business!

Result!

:-) G
Aug 2022
4:20pm, 25 Aug 2022
18,775 posts
  •  
larkim
Phew! Like I said, the issue with selecting a charger where there are few alternatives is that "sods law" will say it will either be broken or in use when you want to use it!

Good to hear it went OK in the end!
Aug 2022
5:45pm, 25 Aug 2022
43,480 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
And ferry delayed an hour to depart so could easily have filled up now too! Going to try whole of 200 miles home on Sunday with dash saying 210 range! :-O Life on the edge indeed larks. :-) G
Aug 2022
6:39pm, 25 Aug 2022
3,329 posts
  •  
JRitchie
Nice one. Where is that location HG?
Aug 2022
4:59pm, 26 Aug 2022
43,484 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
JR, that was the legendary Inverness Caledonian Thistle stadium. Got a free coffee and use of loo and bought a Nessie for grandson. Really can't fault this charging malarkey!

It did take longer than petrol/diesel - 45 mins to go from 50% to 90% (think the 80% to 90% slows down significantly). It would have been quicker to do it when I was down to 10% or 20% but now I shouldn't have to charge at all on return. So Ullapool to home in a oner, hopefully. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.