Electric car anyone?

72 watchers
Aug 2022
2:43pm, 22 Aug 2022
43,414 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Getting a quote would/should be free of course too. Also, check with your elec supplier - some of them do a deal on it. Oh and ask Volvo too. Some car vendors too. :-) G
jda
Aug 2022
2:45pm, 22 Aug 2022
13,243 posts
  •  
jda
I’m thinking along similar lines.

In extremis there’s some sort of charge point in town that would probably be quicker if we ever needed it. It would be easy to park up there for a few hours or even overnight if necessary. But for our use, I expect we’ll be fine even with 8h of overnight cheap rate. While we’ll do some longer trips, they won’t be day after day after day.

We may upgrade the electrics in time, but aren’t worried about not having it in place prior to purchase.
Aug 2022
2:50pm, 22 Aug 2022
43,415 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
It's just convenience. Like I say I haven't ever had to charge at a public charge point! 12K miles, 14 months, 200 mile trips maximum. Back to back 100 mile days would be an example of where you would benefit from a home charge. But not essential. I guess none of it is essential! :-) G
Aug 2022
2:57pm, 22 Aug 2022
6,105 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
We have an Ohme charger and are on Octopus Go. The charger (including installation and getting the home supply checked) was £899. It charges at 7kw - so at 4 miles per kwh I can add 28 miles of range per hour. I've told my charger which tariff I'm on, so i now say to it I want so many kwh added by 7am and it charges at the cheapest time that gives me the required charge. My old electricity tariff was 27p per kwh. Now it is 38p per kwh, but 7.5p between 12:30 and 4:30am. So in that 4 hour window I can add just over 100 miles of range. Given that I use about 2500kwh annually in the house, and 2500kwh for the car I reckon that's £200 per year cheaper than being on the standard tariff. I wouldn't be able to make proper use of the Octopus Go tariff on the 3 pin plug option, so that's a 4.5 year payback on the charger.
Obviously a lot of assumptions based around our circumstances, but hope that makes sense!!
Aug 2022
3:03pm, 22 Aug 2022
7,335 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
My car charges permanently on a three pin plug, although this probably wouldn’t be practical on my pre-covid mileage. It charges at roughly 9 miles per hour, so 25 ish hours if we ran it to empty, but as we rarely do more than 100 miles in a single day it works for us.

We did vaguely consider installing the charger, but as it’s a company car and will go back at some point (currently 2 more years), we’d never recoup the cost of the charger in the potential cheaper off peak rates.

But we’ve only driven 16k in two years. Pre-covid was 23k per year.
Aug 2022
3:07pm, 22 Aug 2022
18,766 posts
  •  
larkim
I'd not given it much thought as our EVSE was installed FOC as part of a sales deal (and part of the motability thing too). And if we hadn't had a charge point fitted it would have been £150 or so to buy a granny cable.

I definitely value the convenience, but as I say as we got ours free it was a pretty different scenario than having to shell out a decent chunk for the privilege.
Aug 2022
3:10pm, 22 Aug 2022
46,202 posts
  •  
DocM
we currently have a Nissan leaf on lease, we are thinking of buying a Peugeot 208, smaller car with slightly better range. would really like a bigger range but not a bigger car.
Aug 2022
3:15pm, 22 Aug 2022
18,767 posts
  •  
larkim
Any Qs about the e208, happy to answer. Though I suppose the car has moved on a bit since I got mine 2 years ago. Been very pleased with it though.

Range is about 180 miles in normal use.
Aug 2022
3:16pm, 22 Aug 2022
11,425 posts
  •  
lammo
How's the Leaf, Doc?
Aug 2022
3:28pm, 22 Aug 2022
43,416 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Think my Kona is the smallest / cheapest longer(ish) range DocM? MG4 when it comes out next year might be smaller and similar range. That would also be my requirement, as my wife has the bigger (ICE) car. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.