Electric car anyone?

71 watchers
Jun 2020
10:03pm, 15 Jun 2020
11,264 posts
  •  
larkim
10 years, 140,000 miles on a £6,000 car, and even I reckon I've got my money's worth out of my trusty Fiat Panda, and with some imminent maintnenace costs pending I think it's time to look at what's around.

Electric is the future, clearly, and whilst I'm sure EVs aren't an environmental panacea there are some carbon-related benefits. I do about 12000 miles per year commuting so my footprint isn't huge, but neither is it insignificant.

Having "run the numbers" brand new EV ownership still would be more expensive for us than brand new petrol of similar specs, and of course there's the petrol 2nd hand market which undoubtedly offers better value still.

Anyone with any EV experience that might sway me in favour (or against) EV despite the cost?
Jun 2020
10:10pm, 15 Jun 2020
5,260 posts
  •  
Red Ant
Watches thread with interest :)
Jun 2020
10:10pm, 15 Jun 2020
10,268 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
My guess would be it depends on range you require.

But if just for commuting, you could look at a Renault Zoe - cheaper than leaf and longer range. Probably what I'd get if I could afford it.

You could also get PV so making the "fuel" free

See I'm quite happily spending your money for you....
Jun 2020
10:18pm, 15 Jun 2020
4 posts
  •  
folkieboater
We looked into it before our last “upgrade”.

We do 17000 a year, mainly long journeys for work, often at night. I decided I’d rather be able to drive home from London at 2am, on my own, without having to sit in a motorway services to recharge. That outweighed the cheaper tax, tolls, congestion charge.

Having said that, it’s a 3 year lease and already half way. Things might change before next time.
Jun 2020
10:25pm, 15 Jun 2020
11,265 posts
  •  
larkim
Zoe would the likely option. 40m round trip commute with a "family" car also available, so EV range anxiety etc not an issue.

PV re_fozzy? Probably a daft question, but what's that? If we could park up at home all day we'd get free fuel as we have solar panels, but parked up at work / evening at home wouldn't benefit in the same way.
Jun 2020
10:31pm, 15 Jun 2020
10,270 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
PV = photovoltaic = solar panels

If you already have them, then that's easy.

With a 40mile round trip, you won't need to charge up at work probably.

My next thing for me to spend your money would be a battery that's charged from your solar to use all your generated power. powerwalls supposed to be good, but expensive.

Since only 20mi each way, you could look into 2nd hand leafs as well, even with battery degradation, they should manage 40mi comfortably.
Jun 2020
10:43pm, 15 Jun 2020
11,267 posts
  •  
larkim
Sadly not allowed PV storage - this is "rent-a-roof" solar, so we get the usage but not the FIT / profit (nor the capital cost up front!) - so that's not a goer.

I'd still like to be able to do a 150m round trip if necessary, but not any more than that, but 2nd hand might be worth a look.

New there still is a price premium for them, even with the govt grant etc, but I suppose we are passed "early adopter" risks now. I just wish the economics made the case clearer for EV, but for the time being I guess there is a premium to be paid as someone who feels "greener" than the average.
Jun 2020
10:49pm, 15 Jun 2020
10,271 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Ah I see. I was always sceptical about those schemes for that sort of reason.

Sounds like Zoe is probably your best bet. Maybe a 2nd hand one of those will be ok? Can't remember what the range is of them.

The next generation of EVs will be substantially better value and maybe cheaper. My feeling was that they'd start to appear 2021-22, but that may slide back a bit due to the recession. Possibly.

For openness I suspect my next purchase (if my Yaris dies) will be a 2nd hand petrol - for 2 reasons, firstly I don't think the price/range will be in my range in that bracket I suspect I'll need a new car. Secondly, I've decided I'd quite like a car I can get a bike in a bit more easily...
Jun 2020
10:56pm, 15 Jun 2020
73 posts
  •  
Minimag
I've been watching the ev thing closely now, but after being furloughed and now working from home, I actually run more miles than I travel, and actually question the environmental credentials of a new car rather than running my existing car to death, I realise my situation is not everyones, but I think I'll hold fire on electric vehicles for now
Jun 2020
11:08pm, 15 Jun 2020
11,268 posts
  •  
larkim
I've got the same concerns minimag - I'm happy to have run my existing one into the ground, but buying "new" vs replacing my existing one with a 2nd hand option (say 18 months old, petrol or electric) does feel a little wasteful.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.