Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

135 watchers
Nov 2020
12:49am, 22 Nov 2020
2,723 posts
  •  
Tracey G
I’m in North Essex and my dad is just inside the M25.

My Amazon is my friend for my dad and brother. Ordered lots of PPE etc during the first lockdown.
jda
Nov 2020
2:29am, 22 Nov 2020
8,824 posts
  •  
jda
Ah ok misunderstood your wording.
Nov 2020
12:55pm, 27 Nov 2020
12,524 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Just popping my with some amazing news my uncle who had non Hodgkin’s lymphoma and secondary bone cancer has just been told the chemo was a success and he has the all clear!!! It’s his 60th birthday tomorrow so best present ever.

He has sadly tested positive for covid this week (picked up grandson from school walked him home and briefly helped his son in law replace the broken oven, then the next day the school informed them they had a couple of positive tests (with teachers) whole family taken down. Uncle has what he says is like flu & keeping a close eye on him.

Thanks for the support and advice over the past few months.
Nov 2020
1:18pm, 27 Nov 2020
28,326 posts
  •  
macca 53
Excellent news gg 😀
Nov 2020
1:48pm, 27 Nov 2020
2,726 posts
  •  
Tracey G
gg - that is fantastic news.

My dad was rush to hospital yesterday. Brother rang me this morning saying he was on oxygen and had respiratory problems as was ok. Half an hour later his on permanent oxygen and brother told to come to the hospital now.
Nov 2020
3:57pm, 27 Nov 2020
12,528 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Oh Tracey sending much love and strength to you and your family I hope your dad is ok.
Nov 2020
3:58pm, 27 Nov 2020
3,724 posts
  •  
jabberknit
Glad for your family, gg, but sad for yours, Tracey G, hope your Dad is OK.

My Mum's home have set up an indoor visiting booth and I tried it out this morning. It did feel a little more normal. It was nice for me to get to sit down in the warm rather than stand outside by a window! Though of course we're still separated by a window, I perferred it to using phones. I had to wear a mask which Mum didn't really like. It also gave me a chance to have a look into some some of the rooms through the windows as I walked around to the door at the back, which looked cosy. They're already decorating for Christmas!
Nov 2020
4:27pm, 27 Nov 2020
10,530 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
So sorry to hear that Tracey 😞

Good news on your front GG
Nov 2020
4:34pm, 27 Nov 2020
3,868 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry to hear that Tracey.

Good news apart from the CV19 gg.

That does sound like an improvement jabberknit. I hope FiL's home come up with something similar this side of xmas.
Nov 2020
5:19pm, 27 Nov 2020
54 posts
  •  
DeaJay
So sorry to hear about your dad Tracey.

Good to hear your uncle's chemo was a success GG.

I keep seeing news about care homes introducing indoor visiting booths jabberknit. Sounds like a great idea.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.