Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

135 watchers
May 2020
12:16pm, 30 May 2020
40,812 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Nice to see my sister here heart aka TQ.

Yeah when she told me yesterday about dad where is mum was just shows how vulnerable he really is although the stubbornness in him shines through so much more and still make us mad at times.
*off to watch my nephew* :-)
May 2020
1:00pm, 30 May 2020
37,232 posts
  •  
LindsD
Doc is right ((TQ)) that's tough.
May 2020
1:49pm, 30 May 2020
2,608 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
(((Torry))) - your bad is your bad, . It's really difficult seeing the decline in someone you love.
May 2020
2:00pm, 30 May 2020
12,323 posts
  •  
Badger
That is tough. My mother’s worst moments are when she starts crying for her own mother (dead 70 years). Couldn’t remember who I was the other day, which is the worst I’ve heard her in a while.

Good about MM’s mother’s Covid test.
May 2020
2:29pm, 30 May 2020
37,252 posts
  •  
LindsD
Oh Badger, that's hard.
May 2020
3:42pm, 30 May 2020
9,740 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
It is so hard having to deal with the decline in memory and all the complexity that goes with it.

Mum.continues tinimprove and they are starting to work on a care package too for when she can be discharged.
May 2020
4:14pm, 30 May 2020
2,611 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Good news Mandy.

((Badger))
May 2020
5:00pm, 30 May 2020
12,875 posts
  •  
Garfield
Take care, Badger. xx
May 2020
5:30pm, 30 May 2020
9,743 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Talk about a roller coaster - mums latest covid test has come.back positive. All we can do now is keep everything crossed a nd hope she fights it
May 2020
5:32pm, 30 May 2020
40,822 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
MM that's not so good. Fingers, toes and everything crossed for a positive and speedy recovery

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.