Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 135 watchers
CK2
Sep 2022
6:28pm, 30 Sep 2022
1,425 posts
  •  
CK2
Good to read he’s doing ok LG.
Sep 2022
7:25pm, 30 Sep 2022
3,876 posts
  •  
decorum
[One of his driving decisions almost got me splattered the other day ~ everyone else was at fault ... it's, quite simply, never down to him]

This afternoon has been >interesting< as well. This time it's an insistence that off-peak energy tarrifs only cover non plugged in items ~ immersion, radiators, storage heaters etc. Anything which you plug in is always charged at peak charge, whatever the time ... we just could not persuade him that peak time has a peak charge and during off-peak time/tarrif covers all mains powered devices . Eventually we had to just suggest that he phoned our supplier ... which he did and their agent confirmed what we'd been trying to explain to him.

The supplier's agent, apparently, is an idiot who doesn't know his own business ... 🙄 🥺

Worried, moi?
Sep 2022
7:29pm, 30 Sep 2022
65,091 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
OMG he sounds hard work a lot of the time.
Sep 2022
7:41pm, 30 Sep 2022
3,877 posts
  •  
decorum
85 year old toddler, when he doesn't get his own way. And this eve he's spat the royal dummy!

He's laughter, smiles and joy when talking to the rest of the family ~ as soon as he's away, or off the phone, from them you can see the veil of lucidity slide away ...
Sep 2022
7:46pm, 30 Sep 2022
65,093 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
We were always amazed when carers and social workers said my dad was a nice charming man….eh no he’s not
CK2
Sep 2022
8:56pm, 30 Sep 2022
1,426 posts
  •  
CK2
Interesting as my dad can appear weary, sad and a bit muddled until the carer arrives when he perks up and engages in conversation!
Sep 2022
9:19pm, 30 Sep 2022
10,767 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Everyone tells me how marvellously my mum does. They don't get the 30 min phone call of sadness/anxiety every day.
Sep 2022
11:16pm, 30 Sep 2022
22,397 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Sorry to hear your sad news Terminator.
Sep 2022
11:26pm, 30 Sep 2022
65,101 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
I suppose my mum was young when she died but never ever put demands on anyone. I suppose being in a hospice the 6 weeks before she died helped as she got the proper care and attention a dying cancer patient should get.
Oct 2022
4:40pm, 1 Oct 2022
23,664 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
MiL is very confused at times. A few conversations that were worrying but also funny in a wAy. She apologised for being a nuisance and I said she wasn’t. Then she said if I wasn’t such a nuisance would you have had more children. I said no we gave two. Yes she said me and our eldest. Took a while before she accepted she was the mother. Then next she asks what putin is up to.

Gp has said it’s delirium after having been in hospital and will take up to six weeks to sort itself out.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.