Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

135 watchers
jda
Sep 2022
12:49pm, 30 Sep 2022
13,500 posts
  •  
jda
The driving license thing seems like a bit of a shambles. Many people seem to rely on subterfuge to sneak the keys/car away from their ageing parent!
Sep 2022
1:00pm, 30 Sep 2022
23,648 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
We had that driving dilemma for a while and we knew MiL was unsafe but not what to do about it. One day she said she had decided to stop driving and we took the keys and car and moved it to ours pronto. We suspect there was a driving incident that prompted her to stop, but are not certain. My son may have had half a story

On a separate note, carers have called to say they arrived and found MiL had a fall and was on the floor and helped her back to bed. She didnt hurt herself, but there was also a fall yesterday. This was my fear that when she starts to emerge from her bed between visits, then she will fall.

There was also a 'bathroom' incident when Mrs Axe arrived on Wednesday that I will not go into the details of but which caused some upset as Mrs Axe was trying to but prevented from cleaning up
Sep 2022
1:23pm, 30 Sep 2022
5,511 posts
  •  
icemaiden
Oh Baz, it is so clear that MIL can't cope between carer visits.
CK2
Sep 2022
1:38pm, 30 Sep 2022
1,424 posts
  •  
CK2
Sorry to hear of your loss Terminator. Wishing you well over the coming weeks and months.
Sep 2022
1:51pm, 30 Sep 2022
15,188 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Baz it is so tough, she really needs more doesn't she?
Sep 2022
2:02pm, 30 Sep 2022
3,875 posts
  •  
decorum
[[Terminator]]

Thanks for the advice about driving. He's a stoic old sod who has always found a way and >his< car is >his< special way of laziness ~ he'd get in it to go to next door ... which he actually got caught doing in his youth 😉 .

There's very few of us who get in the car with him ~ we'd have to attempt to persuade him that enough generic road users had made complaints about car reg 'x'. Either way, because I refuse to get in the car with him when it's dark and he knows that he often scares the bejezus out of me in daylight, I'd get the blame ... 😀 😉 .

Out today, he was fluctuating between 43 and 48 in a 60mph zone, often dropping down to 30 ... even though conditions were good he considered his speed to be 'right'. And we had a queue behind us who opted to not attempt to overtake on a country lane ~ so, obviously, his assertions on safe speeds must be correct ... as soon as the road became dual carriage, they went flying past. And he considered them to be speedy, idiots 🙄 🤣 😒

As others have noted, his cognitive skills seem to lessen/worsen when he's tired.
Sep 2022
2:48pm, 30 Sep 2022
30,544 posts
  •  
macca 53
Sorry for your loss Terminator ((()))
Sep 2022
3:19pm, 30 Sep 2022
6,076 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Difficult position to be in decorum. I told my FiL that I would report him to the DVLA if he didn't make the decision for himself as I decided I'd rather his displeasure (I didn't live with him) than feel responsible for him killing someone. Fortunately for me the rest of his family agreed with me and between us and with a degree of subterfuge as mentioned by jda he was persuaded to sell his car.
Sep 2022
3:28pm, 30 Sep 2022
65,079 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
I think we told his GP that dad was not safe to drive.

Sorry for your loss Terminator.

Baz all sounds a tough situation.

Went to see dad on Wednesday in the home - seems to be doing fine but noticed he was in a wheelchair when going from his room to the lounge but seemed okay about that
Sep 2022
4:12pm, 30 Sep 2022
6,078 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That sounds positive LG.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.