Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

135 watchers
May 2022
5:51am, 30 May 2022
5,804 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I've been thinking about you Mandy. Good to hear that your mum is more settled.
May 2022
7:29am, 30 May 2022
10,522 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Visited mum yesterday. Apart from finding she has 8 rolls of bin bags and 10 unopened pairs of marigolds it was fairly uneventful thank goodness.
May 2022
7:36am, 30 May 2022
54,915 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's good lf
May 2022
7:59am, 30 May 2022
51,433 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I have an update on the 'switching off the fridge to hoover' thing from my Ps-in-law. Turns out I had the story slightly wrong. It wasn't the hoover she was plugging in instead, it was the paper shredder.

The paper shredder? In a way this is a good thing because my MiL doesn't want to be scammed. However, she is so super-paranoid, she is shredding everything: shop receipts, envelopes etc. For extra 'security', she has mini-bonfires in the garden to destroy the shredded items.

She sent a birthday card to eldest and gave him £50 by bank transfer (which Liebling did for her) but she wouldn't even mention the money in the card just in case... what? Mind readers worked out her bank details from her handwriting?
May 2022
8:01am, 30 May 2022
62,195 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Aw bless her though. Would an extension cable plugged into the socket not help so she could just use the spare socket
May 2022
8:06am, 30 May 2022
51,434 posts
  •  
McGoohan
It might. Another slight issue is that FiL has it in his head that you 'switch off the house' at bedtime. So they have all these things we've got them like clocks that say '2:30 Afternoon Wednesday' to aid with his dementia... but he just switches them off.

It's a good idea though LG. We're visiting them today. I'll take a spare cable along and check it out.
May 2022
8:18am, 30 May 2022
22,731 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
MiL turns everything off at the wall and I have been caught by an unboiling kettle many a time.

Her new thing is wanting a paper so she can keep up to speed with events which is a good thing. Since this started we have gone round on a Sunday so taken a different Sunday paper each time. She is now complaining there is too much in them to read and so this weekend we were ordered not to bring a weekend paper. I solved this issue by removing most of the supplements :-)

However on arrival we found MiL in a precarious position close to a fall. She was trying to tidy up the flowers Mrs Axe left the weekend before on the basis its the first thing Mrs Axe does on arrival each week and she doesnt want Mrs Axe doing things. I had to say that really she needs to think about her own safety first and foremost and not worry about simple tasks others can do for her.

However another old issue has re-arisen, but this time from another resident in her stair who complains the carers dont dispose of the rubbish correctly. We have drawn this to their attention before but with 56 different visits every week and I would guess 6-10 different people each week, its not possible to ensure they all dispose of rubbish in the correct bins and filling the ones nearest the door first.
May 2022
8:19am, 30 May 2022
54,918 posts
  •  
LindsD
Mum is paranoid like that, McG
May 2022
8:20am, 30 May 2022
54,919 posts
  •  
LindsD
And Mum turns everything off, locks the front door and hides the key. So we'll burn to a crisp if there's a fire.
May 2022
8:26am, 30 May 2022
3,483 posts
  •  
No.12
McGoohan, regarding the paranoia of being scammed.. I found a very deteriorated black bin bag about an 1/8th full of torn up old family photos from the 70's and 80's in my FiLs garage. I asked why they weren't in the bin, and his reasoning was that he didn't want scammers and crooks getting hold of the photos and identifying people from them. Apart from the fact they were typically blurry instamatic photos and would take decades to rot like that, I wondered what on earth anyone could do with torn up holiday and garden photos.

He does get the odd scam type calls, and will phone me in a panic sometimes. E.g. he got a call saying someone has hacked his amazon account and he will call me up after swiftly hanging up. I then tell him he hasn't got an email address or computer or smartphone and has never had an online account ever so not to worry. He will still thinks they can somehow access his bank account if they know his name.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.