Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 135 watchers
May 2022
7:44am, 21 May 2022
51,395 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Mandy - that sounds like the worst ever Ready Steady Cook ;-)

LMH - it's three things.
1. She has dementia herself, just not as advanced as FiL
2. She is the most stubborn person I've ever met. If you tell her 'but you've got twenty bars' she'll either go into instant denial or say 'we're getting through them'. Or get angry.
3. It's a physical thing as well. She's not as mobile as she was. The honey & jam was all going in a cupboard at floor level so she's subsequently reluctant to go look. Ditto this cupboard. She doesn't like bending.
May 2022
7:52am, 21 May 2022
51,396 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Oh, the other thing. They have a tiny fridge as part of the fitted kitchen so there's another fridge and separate standing freezer in their garage.

MiL told Liebling's sister that for some reason the food was going off in the secondary fridge. Couldn't understand it.

So my SiL went to investigate. The fridge was unplugged. God knows how long it had been like that. MiL regularly unplugs it to use the socket for hoovering apparently.

Why, when there are sockets all over the house? Because the ones in the garage are at shoulder height, whereas she'd have to bend to use one in the main house.

The other daft thing about that is that they have help three times a week. Someone comes in who is supposed to do the cleaning or hoovering or whatever.
May 2022
8:02am, 21 May 2022
54,744 posts
  •  
LindsD
:(
May 2022
8:08am, 21 May 2022
5,794 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Oh dear McG. Sounds like there's a lot going on. I wouldn't be surprised if your MiL is cleaning up before the help goes in.
May 2022
9:51am, 21 May 2022
5,441 posts
  •  
icemaiden
We had our sockets put about 3 feet from the floor when we were rewired 20 years ago. No bending for us.
May 2022
1:05pm, 21 May 2022
5,795 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That was good forward thinking icemaiden.
May 2022
7:01pm, 22 May 2022
22,701 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
St James Place had sent MiL a letter. It’s like a red rag to a bull. The letter itself is pretty innocuous and is about a change in strategy of one of the funds she is in

However all the old wounds reopened and we spent 2.5 hrs trying to deal with it and essentially saying we know you want to move your money. We are happy to do so but BiL isn’t and they class you as vulnerable and won’t act on your instructions

Doesn’t matter how often we say it, MiL will not speak to BiL about it and if past experience is anything to go by we will get various phone calls and it will be all MiL talks about now

Quite how she ended up with St James Place and that bloody woman adviser I have no idea.
May 2022
8:10pm, 22 May 2022
54,771 posts
  •  
LindsD
How frustrating
May 2022
6:11am, 23 May 2022
5,797 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I guess you just have to keep repeating that it's only BiL who can do what she wants Baz?
May 2022
12:45pm, 28 May 2022
14,499 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Mum called me this morning which was a shock as she hasn't been able to use her mobile for weeks. She was very distressed and confused. Called the home and they have called 111 and doctor came out.

Mum has a haematoma (sp) on her leg and now has a rash spreading up her legs. They think she is bleeding in the capillaries (?). They are having to stop her blood clotting tablets as they think this is not helping and have been told the next 24 hours could be critical, depends on how she reacts.

She won't be going into hospital as the doctor doesn't see the outcome being any different and she is comfortable and better care at the home.

Back on that roller coaster for a few days again

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.