Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 135 watchers
May 2022
6:03am, 18 May 2022
5,789 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
CK2 - poor skin healing is a thing with the elderly. As G_g says good nutrition is important though it won't solve the problem. Could they access hospital or volunteer transport if the expense is an issue?
CK2
May 2022
7:33am, 18 May 2022
1,234 posts
  •  
CK2
Thanks G_g and LMH. Nutrition is a good point - he doesn’t eat enough and that is an ongoing issue (he’s now prescribed shakes to help but doesn’t always take them.) Hospital transport is an excellent call as they registered for this ages ago but haven’t used it though he used volunteer transport for radiotherapy a couple of years ago. I think I’m looking for a solution that doesn’t exist, particularly if he doesn’t eat enough. Such minor worries compared to many on this thread.
May 2022
12:01pm, 18 May 2022
919 posts
  •  
Dibble
Hi all,

Has anyone had any recent experience of having to replace an old mobile phone for an elderly relative? I think he will struggle with anything new, so buttons rather than touchscreen and only needs to do phone calls and texts. I've found the Doro 1370 which looks to be the best bet so far, but any other suggestions?
May 2022
12:12pm, 18 May 2022
29,948 posts
  •  
macca 53
[we had that one for MiL - it works fine]
May 2022
12:41pm, 18 May 2022
54,654 posts
  •  
LindsD
We had it for Dad, too. It's a little slow, but does what it should.
May 2022
1:00pm, 18 May 2022
9,701 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Warning for those who have a “dumb” mobile phone but also use the internet on another device.

My mum put her mobile number into her Amazon account and one day they decided to send her a log in confirmation text to her mobile, with a link to click on - except she doesn’t have a smart phone so couldn’t click on it.

So I had to painstakingly copy the link into the browser on her laptop in order to log on and remove the mobile phone number from the account.
May 2022
2:25pm, 18 May 2022
920 posts
  •  
Dibble
Thanks all. For anything requiring a mobile number entered, I use my own instead of his when I can so his should just be friends and family calling and texting.
May 2022
3:08pm, 18 May 2022
14,446 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Mum.has one of those too - sadly she doesn't use it anymore as her dementia has made it too confusing but up until recently it worked well
May 2022
4:17pm, 18 May 2022
4,413 posts
  •  
Groundhog
Fortunately mum can still use a smart phone so setting her up with a new one has been ok, apart from not remembering any passwords.
CK2
May 2022
6:00pm, 18 May 2022
1,235 posts
  •  
CK2
Good advice from others about phones and while looking for my dad’s model (great if never turned on!) I found this useful link - activeseniorsclub.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.