Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 135 watchers
Sep 2021
10:04pm, 24 Sep 2021
22,471 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Thanks HB.
Are they supposed to ask you back each year for a blood pressure check? I got a right “telling off”. For not having booked my “annual check” for 7 years, but no-one had told me I should have one.

( My blood pressure is usually middling to low, so not something I’m concerned about)
Sep 2021
10:41pm, 24 Sep 2021
49,811 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thanks HB

I'd better brace myself to be told to lose weight then. BMI around 26
Sep 2021
12:29pm, 25 Sep 2021
6,229 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
Tell them you’re a runner and it’s muscle.

Or say you want to donate plasma and you’re still not heavy enough. ;-)
Sep 2021
2:53pm, 25 Sep 2021
49,824 posts
  •  
LindsD
Some good news for the thread.

Think I reported that Mum had liked the retirement community she went to see. She had the house valued yesterday, and can comfortably afford what she needs. I'm quietly hoping she might be able to be in for Christmas, but we'll see when I talk to her tomorrow. It would be such a weight off my mind.
CK2
Sep 2021
4:50pm, 25 Sep 2021
961 posts
  •  
CK2
Great to have some good news.

I spoke to dad yesterday and he was out of bed and planning to cook mum an omelette so more good news.
Sep 2021
5:00pm, 25 Sep 2021
12,626 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
That would be great Linds
Sep 2021
6:53pm, 25 Sep 2021
4,984 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I hope it happens Linds.

That is good CK2.
Sep 2021
8:43pm, 25 Sep 2021
22,482 posts
  •  
Rosehip
That sounds very promissing Linds :)
And good news CK2 :)

I’ve been avoiding the thread as I’m liable to go into a rant, but just venting about FiL who has had a catheter in nearly all year (with associated frquent infections) and *6* pre-ops for some sort of prostate op which has each time been cancelled. There’s so much fuss around him, no-one is worring about MiL, who has lost a lot of weight and won’t admit that she’s overdue check up - uterine cancer, supposedly stage 3+.
Operated, radiotherapy and some chemo - and then supposedly all clear

I’m not sure the first was right but definitely don’t believe the second now, but she won’t “make a fuss” because it’s all about him
CK2
Sep 2021
9:21pm, 25 Sep 2021
962 posts
  •  
CK2
I was talking to a friend today about the generation of women who see their role as solely to look after their husbands. My mum continually puts her own health at risk looking after my dad. That sounds very worrying Rosehip. Is anyone in a position to have a word with her (or with him to highlight her health)?
Sep 2021
9:34pm, 25 Sep 2021
22,483 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I had long c

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.