Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 135 watchers
May 2021
8:23pm, 6 May 2021
46,837 posts
  •  
LindsD
((MM))
May 2021
8:33pm, 6 May 2021
4,885 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
(( mm ))
May 2021
10:50pm, 6 May 2021
14,531 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Oh MM I’m so sorry to read this. Keeping everything crossed for your mum & you.

Thank you everyone for your messages it’s good to know what I can provide should be helping her.
May 2021
5:17pm, 9 May 2021
11,825 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
And here we go again. Mum has rallied, talk of her being discharged. Engaged in conversation today and video called the grandkids when my daughter visited.

Seems like the roller coaster is pulling in the station and we can get off for a while again
May 2021
5:39pm, 9 May 2021
9,368 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
M has somehow got it into her head that our family friend won't be helping any more (she's having a few holidays when the rules allow). Repeatedly telling her is getting exhausting. She really over reacts every time. She was "in despair" today as shd thought nobody would call round
May 2021
5:40pm, 9 May 2021
9,369 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
The family friend was calling today and did so. Apparently mum was shocked to see her
May 2021
5:47pm, 9 May 2021
46,911 posts
  •  
LindsD
Good news MM

That sounds v frustrating lf. And quite like my mother.
May 2021
6:08pm, 9 May 2021
4,518 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I really hope you can enjoy some time with your mum in the best possible health Mandy.

leaguefreak - they do seem to get fixed ideas which are difficult to shift.
May 2021
10:00am, 10 May 2021
19,672 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Mrs Axe arrived at her Mums on Saturday to let the cleaner in and found the falls team in attendance and her Mum on the floor in the hall (her walking frame was in the bathroom). MiL immediately burst into tears as she had hoped that Mrs Axe wouldnt find out about the fall.

Yesterday I tried to ask MiL to be careful and always use her walking frame as without it she is a massive falls risk and one of these times will do serious damage to herself. MiL was adamant she was using her walking frame and simply tripped. On her way down she was worried about landing on the frame and hurting herself and so managed to throw it out the way before she hit the deck. Mrs axe tells me the walking frame was in the bathroom by the toilet and in an upright position. Her mum was in the hallway.

Luckily there was no harm done although there was a cut on her elbow. However what is frustrating is that MiL still does not publicly accept her frailty and will continue to fail to use her walking aid with the risk that it brings. I have seen her do it and literally bounce off wall to remain upright. Its is hard to know what to do about this.
May 2021
10:12am, 10 May 2021
25,116 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
great gran (now 100) has spent the last 15? years having to use a frame.
She never used to and never had a panic alarm
She almost lost her leg because she fell grabbed the wall heater and pulled it off the wall. She spent almost 5 hours with the heater on (just but enough) weighed her down as it landed on her leg.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.