Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

135 watchers
May 2021
10:21am, 6 May 2021
4,880 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Walking, talking and listening is probably the best thing you can do at the moment. Looking to the future, there is activity and things for your friend to do now, and when her mother passes away and up to the funeral. Sometimes the hardest time is after that, when the activity stops. Make sure you look out for her and keep meeting up with her then, in the emptiness after the busy-ness.
Through your walking and talking I'm sure she knows that you care
May 2021
12:43pm, 6 May 2021
14,530 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Thank you TR I figured I am limited to what I can do but worried I was missing something.

We’ll definitely keep momentum once the inevitable happens. I appreciate your reply.
May 2021
1:28pm, 6 May 2021
46,825 posts
  •  
LindsD
TR is right. Checking in, acknowledging no need to reply, and being around for afterwards are great ways to support someone. Also saying 'do you want to talk about it? Ok if not' because a lot of people are hesitant to ask about death and dying and sometimes it does help to go through the process of talking about what exactly is happening/has happened. (())
May 2021
2:04pm, 6 May 2021
51,320 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Yeah like the others have said...checking in and being there is probably a great help at the moment heart
May 2021
5:38pm, 6 May 2021
11,798 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
I think you are doing what she needs and you are helping her more than you realise.

Mum has had a relapse, back on oxygen, breathing bad and very very confused today which is always a sign of a bad infection
May 2021
5:59pm, 6 May 2021
4,514 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I'm sorry to hear that Mandy. Hope your mum rallies.

gg - I agree that being available and listening to what your friend does and doesn't want at the minute is all that you can do.
May 2021
6:16pm, 6 May 2021
33,337 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Oh I'm sorry to hear that Mandy. I hope she pulls through xxx
May 2021
6:48pm, 6 May 2021
51,325 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh bugger MM. Fingers crossed x
May 2021
6:55pm, 6 May 2021
25,068 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Hugs mm
May 2021
6:58pm, 6 May 2021
52,507 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
MM :( Rocky times.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.