Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

135 watchers
Apr 2021
6:41am, 10 Apr 2021
4,463 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Good news Baz.

Hopefully he'll accept the help jda.
Apr 2021
10:35pm, 17 Apr 2021
3,797 posts
  •  
decorum
Hugs to all, be kind to yourselves.

Dad went to my sister's overnight. So we had the first time off since November '20. Trouble was it was during the week and we didn't gain much 'us time'.

And he's finally admitted that he's reverted to living in the past, when his word was law in the house and the world around him was either how he wanted it or how he expected it to be.
Apr 2021
10:37pm, 17 Apr 2021
50,756 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Nice to have a night off though and even better if he takes on board what he has said and changes his ways a bit.
Apr 2021
5:56am, 18 Apr 2021
4,474 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
It's a start decorum. Hopefully you can build on that and get a proper break.
Apr 2021
7:46am, 18 Apr 2021
10,354 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
OH received a call on Friday from the manager of dad’s sheltered accommodation asking if he would please remove dad’s toaster. Turns out he had run out of disposable lighters and cigarette papers and was rolling his own using newspaper then lighting them in the toaster 😳. He doesn’t use the toaster for making toast so it’s gone and he’s been spoken to.

Dad then asked OH to get him some holiday brochures as he fancies a week in Corfu. OH reminded him that he didn’t have a passport. ‘That’s ok, I’ll get a one-year one’, was the reply. When told that they no longer exist, how expensive a replacement would be and, most importantly, that he would have to dramatically improve his personal hygiene* if he wanted to stay elsewhere, the conversation fizzled out. I suspect it’s going to be a recurring theme now, though.

* think rough sleeper and you’re on the right path. And this despite the fact that he has a perfect wet-room type of set up with a shower chair, and daily carers.
Apr 2021
7:55am, 18 Apr 2021
46,439 posts
  •  
LindsD
:(
Apr 2021
8:09am, 18 Apr 2021
10,358 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
There was a lot of rather dark humour to be had when OH and I tried to imagine dad going off on holiday on his own, I’ll be honest.
Apr 2021
6:37am, 19 Apr 2021
4,477 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I'm sorry Paula but the toaster as cigarette lighter did make me laugh - it almost sounds as though he's reverted to student days.
Apr 2021
7:45am, 19 Apr 2021
4,837 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Had a call from mum at 10:30 last night to say that dad (92) had fallen and she (96) couldn't help him up. Son and I went over - we only live five minutes away - and helped him up. His knees just don't seem to have any strength now, so having fallen while getting up from the toilet to his zimmer frame, there was no way he could get himself up.
We hear a lot about the sadness of dementia, but it's also so difficult when the mind remains clear and active, but the body let's you down. Dad's had enough now, he's achieved everything he wants to in life, and now just feels he's hanging around, with a body that's increasingly not fit for purpose.
Apr 2021
7:52am, 19 Apr 2021
46,462 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's upsetting TR

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.