Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 135 watchers
Apr 2021
9:16pm, 9 Apr 2021
19,432 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
yeah, by the time I came back she was arranging the follow up appt.

Mrs Axe doesnt cope well with medical stuff. I once went to A&E with a gash in my forehead after running into a roadsign (dont ask). Midway through the nurse cleaning up Mrs Axe had to to be tended to and lain down on the bed and gotten a glass of water
Apr 2021
9:17pm, 9 Apr 2021
50,539 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh dear, some people are just like that :-(
Apr 2021
9:20pm, 9 Apr 2021
6,559 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Glad that went as well as can be, Baz.

(That anecdote reminds me of when my parents had to bring us to A&E for head stitches two Fridays in a row (both instigated by me - first me running into a gatepost then chucking a beaker at my sister). My folks didn't tell me til years later but they were convinced that social services were coming to come for them, convinced that they were battering us!)
Apr 2021
9:21pm, 9 Apr 2021
11,617 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Glad all went well Baz and Mrs Baz is ok too

Mum had her second jab today 😁
Apr 2021
9:28pm, 9 Apr 2021
19,434 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
ooh, forgot, we got a call saying the 2nd jab for MiL will be administered at her home on Sunday :-)

Dooogs, that reminds me of a visit to sick kids with my c8yo son and a gash in his shin. When the doctor asked what happened he said I was playing football with dad - giving the impression I hacked him down.

he didnt say he had kicked the ball into the bushes on the 'upper' level of our garden and in trying to jump up a wall tripped and gashed his shin on said wall.
Apr 2021
9:32pm, 9 Apr 2021
14,894 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
[MrsMMM is the same! My dental implants resulted in her fainting dead away as she stepped off the deck and twisting her knee resulting in weeks sick leave! I was back at work the next day.....]
jda
Apr 2021
9:33pm, 9 Apr 2021
9,853 posts
  •  
jda
FiL has been persuaded to stay an extra week in the care home while some "step-down care" is arranged to help him cope with returning home. In his mind this is strictly time-limited, but in our view it's likely to be indefinite. He still insists he's perfectly capable of looking after himself and his home, he just doesn't seem to have bothered doing normal maintenance tasks on either for a while, for no apparent reason :-)

It seems like he's quite enjoying the stay (as we had hoped he might), after all it's not wholly unlike a hotel stay somewhere and - like the rest of us - he's not been able to have any trips away in the past year.
Apr 2021
9:36pm, 9 Apr 2021
50,542 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
jda, we are hoping this period in the pathway care home is enjoyable for dad and enough to think a home wouldn’t be such a bad option
Apr 2021
9:47pm, 9 Apr 2021
6,562 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Haha, Baz - did the wall imprint on his shin look like stud marks? Straight red...
Apr 2021
10:23pm, 9 Apr 2021
24,800 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
A GP friend was mortified having to take his son to A&E with a broken arm from playing football together, especially the 2nd time!

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.