Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

135 watchers
Apr 2021
5:24pm, 6 Apr 2021
11,599 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Had a call from the home this morning. Mum had a fall last night, thankfully she is ok, just shook up. They didn't call me last night as nothing to worry about.

Am going to be going to see my mum as my sister doesn't have time 🙄 so my brother will keep going to
Apr 2021
5:28pm, 6 Apr 2021
50,471 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
My sister had a call today so dad is moving to a pathway home tomorrow. That then gives them 42 days to assess his capacity about being able to return home or not
Apr 2021
5:45pm, 6 Apr 2021
11,600 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Thats good then LG
Apr 2021
6:11pm, 6 Apr 2021
33,100 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
That's good progress LG.
Apr 2021
7:47pm, 6 Apr 2021
46,204 posts
  •  
LindsD
Glad Mum is OK, MM

Sounds good, LG
Apr 2021
6:25am, 7 Apr 2021
4,454 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sounds like a good next step LG.

Nice that you get to see your mum Mandy.
Apr 2021
6:11pm, 7 Apr 2021
33,107 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
You couldn't make it up...
I was recently cheering because I'd finally received the refund of excess care home fees paid by my Mum. I then 'only' had to pay the LA the personal contribution Mum would have had to pay had everything been sorted out from the start of the LA's involvement. I asked the LA to send me an invoice so I could pay up.
I was told they couldn't send me an invoice in the last weeks of March because they were migrating their records to a new computer system but I'd hear from them once the new system was up and running.
Yesterday I heard from them: I don't pay the LA, I pay the care home.
I immediately emailed the Trust Financial Office and said, I owe you some money, please let me know how to pay it.
I had a reply this afternoon: 'We had no idea your mother was due to make a personal contribution. Can you send us what information you have about this please?'

I wish I had just shut up ;-) (Not really, Mum was well cared for, I wouldn't want to cheat them of any money due to them, but really...)
Apr 2021
6:13pm, 7 Apr 2021
50,497 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh my LD...nothing has been easy trying to just to give what is due. Hope it gets sorted soon
Apr 2021
6:16pm, 7 Apr 2021
11,606 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
😳 honestly LD - hope you get sorted soon
Apr 2021
6:53pm, 7 Apr 2021
4,458 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
What a pain LD.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.