Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 135 watchers
12 Apr
8:20pm, 12 Apr 2024
75,144 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
It’s a true saying One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Wouldn’t know the worth of anything in dad’s house and we don’t really have the time to find out. He has a lot of books that my sister is keen to keep and look through. He does have a motor bike in his garage which we will sell as it’s in very good condition.
13 Apr
12:33pm, 13 Apr 2024
32,346 posts
  •  
macca 53
Have you checked that his collection isn’t valuable jda?
jda
13 Apr
1:05pm, 13 Apr 2024
16,843 posts
  •  
jda
We’re getting it valued and will probably sell it to the dealer depending on whether BiL is interested.
13 Apr
1:22pm, 13 Apr 2024
5,416 posts
  •  
Ally-C
Just looked at my mum’s bank account and in the last two days she’s spend £120 sending random folk flowers, fecking lunatic.
jda
16 Apr
9:25am, 16 Apr 2024
16,875 posts
  •  
jda
BiL's visit (with family) went pretty well. They didn't stay with us but we had plenty of time to talk each afternoon/evening. The state of things was a bit of a shock after which they soon got on board with our thoughts (clear out any keepsakes and then jettison the house ASAP, basically). I only had to deploy the magic formula once or twice:

In-law: "I think we should do XYX with the house/contents/etc."
Me: "Of course, my wife and I would be very happy if you did XYZ, we wouldn't dream of standing in your way."
In-law: "Oh I didn't mean me."
Me: "..."
In-law: "Um....maybe we don't need to do XYZ."

As for FiL, he was amazed to discover that his son was married and that he has a (grown) grandchild. A little surprising to me, he hasn't seemed that bad with us. I think seeing his son might have reset his mind back to earlier memories, as they haven't seen a whole lot of each other in adulthood (BiL working abroad almost all of this time). FiL was apparently also asking after his wife and the house, hopefully those ideas will fade again soon. It would be a shame if he got worried and upset about things as he's mostly seemed pretty content up to now.
16 Apr
9:42am, 16 Apr 2024
67,562 posts
  •  
LindsD
Glad the visit went well.
16 Apr
9:53am, 16 Apr 2024
7,087 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I like your style jda.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.