elastic laces

1 watcher
Nov 2015
8:57am, 3 Nov 2015
433 posts
  •  
jdarun
Hi all,

I'm wondering what views/experience people have with elastic laces. I first got some when I had a triathlon this summer, but have kept using them since. They seem to work pretty well, my feet are comfortable without any hotspots or change in feel during runs (up to 2h). Not that I have major problems with ordinary laces, but occasionally I find out mid-run they were a bit tight, or they work loose. Are elastics secure enough for fell racing? Haven't done any serious off-roading with them yet.
Nov 2015
9:03am, 3 Nov 2015
1,105 posts
  •  
Fist of Monkey
I use them for everything other than off road. They are designed to allow the shoe to be removed quickly, kind of the last thing you want for fell. Before you know it your shoe will be 'George Michael'd' (ahem, sucked off in a bog).

sorry for that image.
Nov 2015
9:22am, 3 Nov 2015
1,237 posts
  •  
Spleen
Fist: No need to apologise. I hadn't heard of that technical term before and I now plan to use it at every opportunity.
Nov 2015
9:51am, 3 Nov 2015
376 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
me too :-)

Reminded me of the David Brent line. "What's white and slides down toilet walls?"
Nov 2015
10:03am, 3 Nov 2015
2,072 posts
  •  
Steampunk seratonin
LOL - George Michael :-)
Nov 2015
11:42am, 3 Nov 2015
18,897 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I was out on a muddy run with the BF and said his shoes were doing a "George Michael". I then had to explain. Much mirth ensued.

I love locking/elastic laces but can't get the little things on the ends properly. (I call them bell-ends. Sorry - but they are bell-shaped and go on the ends.) Do I need to burn the lace ends to get them through the bells? ... and once I have just tie a tight little knot. Any tips greatly appreciated.
Ted
Nov 2015
12:29pm, 3 Nov 2015
14,092 posts
  •  
Ted
RS, normally the plastic tips of laces are called Aglets, but that is not your predicament.

It sounds like you need to burn / melt your lace ends to get them in the bell end. Soften them up enough to be pliable and then try and roll them into a usable shape.
Nov 2015
12:53pm, 3 Nov 2015
18,898 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Aha - thanks Ted.
Nov 2015
1:01pm, 3 Nov 2015
1,644 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I tried elastic laces for a short while and never got on with them. I could never find a tightness that enabled me to stretch them far enough to get on whilst not feel really sloppy fitting around the ankle when on.
Nov 2015
1:12pm, 3 Nov 2015
18,899 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I've got them in all my shoes, although with big sticky out bits until I sort out the bellends.

I did win a spot prize of a pair of strange, nobbly things which didn't work for me at all and cut off my blood supply. They were like stretchy twiglets.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
Hi all,

I'm wondering what views/experience people have with elastic laces. I first got some whe...