•  
katypie
That was a joke πŸ˜‰
Jun 2014
10:53am, 3 Jun 2014
2,412 posts
  •  
TripletDad
I think the difficulty of all of this has been that we runners generally look at running as (depending on how seriously we view it) a key part of our lives, or a sport, or a hobby, but definitely not as a business.

We come across so many race organisers that arrange events with runners at the fore front of everything and when you come across people who clearly view running as just another business model it grates.

The only way that we as runners can deal with this is to vote with our feet (and our wallets). Stop attending events that don't put the runners first - there are many others that do which we should support.

I ran this race every year from 2007-2012 but the continued problems and, in my view, the lack of any desire to resolve them, turned me away and unless it changes dramatically I would never run it again.

Considering it's only 3 miles from my doorstep that's a real shame and I am definitely missing out as there aren't that many races of this size in Scotland but it's the only way these events are going to change for the better.
Jun 2014
11:49am, 3 Jun 2014
63 posts
  •  
Nookie Bear
^^^ spot on ^^^
Jun 2014
12:16pm, 3 Jun 2014
7,564 posts
  •  
Boab
I wonder how open the organisers would be to a runners working group. I have no objection to the business model, as long as the runners are getting what they expect out of the experience. It would also be a forum where the organisers can give feedback to the running community on the difficulties of mass participation race organisation. For this company, in particular, it would be a good way to bridge the gap that has opened up since marathon day.
Jun 2014
12:22pm, 3 Jun 2014
735 posts
  •  
Spleen
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a race being run as a business. You can put on a race for the love of it, or to harness the desire of runners to run around a course for profit. Both are equally valid motivations and can result in equally great races - in their own way. For big city marathons you're more likely to need the latter, because the amount of work and organisation involved is too big to be done entirely in people's spare time. I've done many races that were run for profit and were fantastic.

My other hobby is computer gaming. I don't buy boring games full of glitches, and I don't do races round boring courses run by incompetent organisers. It's just bad business, nothing more.
Jun 2014
12:36pm, 3 Jun 2014
6,890 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Boab, I suggested as much in my attempt to contact them - made myself available as I have plenty experience of their races and others. Not heard a peep
Jun 2014
12:41pm, 3 Jun 2014
201 posts
  •  
Barry Cornelius
The event information for September's Scottish Half Marathon (https://www.scottishhalfmarathon.com/?results), November's Bournemouth Marathon Festival (http://www.results.run-bmf.com/), and next March's Kilomathon (http://www.kilomathon.com/?pages_id=2483) have all been changed to say that a full list of results will be published.

Full results of last year's Bournemouth Marathon Festival have now been released: they are available from both results.run-bmf.com and http://www.runbritainrankings.com/results/resultslookup.aspx.

However, full results of last March's Kilomathon are currently only available at kilomathon.com They are not yet available at www.runbritain.com
Jun 2014
12:49pm, 3 Jun 2014
7,565 posts
  •  
Boab
Just as well Barry, as I had a shocker at Kilomathon in March ;)

About This Thread

Maintained by Mave
Signed up to EMF marathon last night. Anyone else doing it? Or one of the other EMF races?

Pretty...