•  
Johnny Blaze
Good call! I love me eggs, I do.
Apr 2012
11:52am, 4 Apr 2012
9,745 posts
  •  
Naomi P
I love Ogee's tactic, stuff of elites, that is!

Egg and bacon sarnie?
Apr 2012
1:34pm, 4 Apr 2012
657 posts
  •  
DuncanG
Suprised to hear so many people eat and drink so much before the start. I am definitely in the breakfast 3 hours earlier camp then maybe a banana or two. Normally do my long runs off empty so I count on the breakfast as a bonus on the day.

Does the sugar intake and/or loads of drink not give you a rush/low and the need to pee respectively?
Apr 2012
1:46pm, 4 Apr 2012
1,513 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
Duncan - i sweat a lot so dispite drinking lots before and during a race i have never had to stop to pee as it is all sweated out. not sure about the sugar thing, do you still get a sugar rush/low when excersizing hard?
Apr 2012
9:48pm, 4 Apr 2012
436 posts
  •  
Lovely Lovely Gorgeous
Cheese & Pickle sandwich for me before the start.
Apr 2012
9:50pm, 4 Apr 2012
18,408 posts
  •  
ogee
Woohoo!! Nice one LLG.

My work is done :)
Apr 2012
10:50pm, 4 Apr 2012
6,650 posts
  •  
(schnell)Schnecke
I've been known to neck a gel just before the start of a shorter race, but only if I know I've got to run a bit fast - that will not be a requirement for VLM, I suspect. I normally leave a good two hours after eating before racing or even running.

Little Nemo - I know exactly what you mean, the sweet stuff just gets really nauseating after a while and I usually have a packet of ready salted in my bag for immediate post-marathon consumption. It's often accompanied by a Mars Refuel drink, or similar, so I'm surprised I usually manage to keep everything down, tbh ;-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Johnny Blaze
I have heard that it's recommended to eat 2 hours before the start.

But it occurs to me that if ...