Dukeries Ultra

8 watchers
May 2012
6:35pm, 29 May 2012
4,980 posts
  •  
flip
well done for putting it all on rogs. I dont know an ultra that has not had an issue or to with markings , I know hardmoors has and its a fully marked route ! they all soon get sorted . looking forward to getting to this one day :-)
May 2012
9:29pm, 29 May 2012
30 posts
  •  
RogLS128
Some of you may have already seen this on Facebook and Twitter, but Maria and I have been discussing the route finding issues from Saturday.

What would be a great help would be if anyone with a Garmin/GPS file could send it through to us we can see where people went and compare it to the actual route. That way we will be able to see where the problem areas are.

Thanks for your help
May 2012
9:34pm, 29 May 2012
31 posts
  •  
RogLS128
Thanks Flip.

Jon was full of praise for the course at the end. Think he had a good day, but wants to come back and do it on fresh legs.

It was a pain that some of the route marking went astray, but some people weren't bothered and others where. Overall we are getting lots of positive feedback which is really encouraging for next year.

Are you doing the 110 this year or are you crew?
May 2012
9:58pm, 29 May 2012
13,080 posts
  •  
hellen
Definatly an overall positive from me. I got less lost than I normally do for routes I have to navigate!!, what happened to the food at check point 3? Did the marshals eat it?!!
May 2012
9:12am, 30 May 2012
32 posts
  •  
RogLS128
Hi Hellen

CP3 was originally put there because of the Clumber/NT management wanting us to have someone there because of the traffic through the gatehouse. When it started to get hotter we decided it should be a proper checkpoint with supplies, but they wouldn't let us put out a gazebo and/or tables. So we came to the agreement with them that it would jut be water from the back of a car.

This kind of worked, but a lot of runners still ended up standing in the middle of the road while cars tried to get past them and the traffic coming in the opposite direction! We have been told by Clumber that next time we can only have marshal there and if we want to have any supplies it will have to be further round the corner. Looking at the map this does make more sense as it will give another indication to runners of which way to go.
May 2012
9:30am, 30 May 2012
13,083 posts
  •  
hellen
ah right, that explains it but on the details it was advertised as a CP so I expected food as the details also said food at all CPs. I had thought about not bothering to carry any food apart from a few sweeties as I liked all the things provided and the CPs were close enough to manage on CP food but then because of the hot weather I thought I might not fancy flapjacks so decided to carry extra supplies, good job I did ! It wasnt an issue for me but I suspect it could have been for some people who didnt seem to be carrying much and looked like they were relying on CPs for all food and drink.

we saw one chap carrying a 2L bottle of water, he had clearly taken that from the CP as he didnt carry his own bottle thinking the CPs were close enough not to need water between.

On a separate point, whilst I like regular CPs cos I like my food I wonder if having fewer is sometimes better as it forces people to carry stuff for themselves like bottles and snacks. When we are spoilt with them so close together people dont carry anything and then on hot days get into trouble. There were a few people complaining of no cups at some CPs, I assume because they didnt have a bottle and so had no way of drinking the water apart from out the big 2L bottle.
May 2012
10:14am, 31 May 2012
1,589 posts
  •  
thesteadygroove
I should have a GPS route if you want it, I didn't feel like I went wrong anywhere and finished with a distance of 39.7 miles.
The GPS routes on the website were excellent but I always double check any gps routes for myself on a certain route planning website and I also add the checkpoints on and check where the route follows footpaths or deviates across fields etc.
May 2012
1:27pm, 31 May 2012
34 posts
  •  
RogLS128
Thanks steadygrove a copy of the trace would be great.

After some other feedback, next year we plan on putting up tcx files and probably a google earth fly through as well just to help people visualize the route.
Mar 2013
8:48pm, 22 Mar 2013
38 posts
  •  
RogLS128
Just wanted to let everyone know that we are back for our second year.

Race day will be Saturday 11th May with both 30 and 40 mile options again. We have moved the Race HQ to Walesby Sports Club so there should be easier parking, limited changing and shower facilities, a bar and catering.

Look forward to seeing some new faces and those who are coming back for a second go
Mar 2013
11:10am, 25 Mar 2013
5,419 posts
  •  
flip
Great news Rogs

About This Thread

Maintained by RogS128
As our race seems to have attracted some positive attention in the ultramarathon thread I thought it...