Dublin Murders BBC adaptation

6 watchers
Oct 2019
9:31am, 25 Oct 2019
30,278 posts
  •  
LindsD
I know there are a few Tana French fans in here. Are you watching the BBC adaptation of the first two books - Dublin Murders? What do you think?

Sam is all wrong, isn't he? ;)
Oct 2019
10:00am, 25 Oct 2019
41,516 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I'll have to read the books before I can comment
Oct 2019
10:02am, 25 Oct 2019
15,355 posts
  •  
jennywren
I’m actually sort of hating it? (I haven’t read the books). I’ll watch the last episode now but I’m disappointed it went downhill so fast after a promising start.
Oct 2019
10:39am, 25 Oct 2019
15,371 posts
  •  
Chrisull
They've mixed the stories up blending the Likeness un-necessarily into In the woods, I'm like but no.... no, but no. Sam is definitely wrong. Frank is somehow completely wrong but hard to say why. They all seem a bit young to me?

It lacks the air of menace/mystery of In the woods, the wolf sections just seem random rather than part of the fabric of the story. Cassie and Rob's "telepathy" in interviews isn't really evident, O'Kelly isn't scary enough, he's a little too cuddly. Also the end of episode 4 on TV, Rob would never say that to Cassie (The line about crying girls make him hard), even if it was just to kind of make her hate him, he spends his time avoiding her in the book and pretending nothing's wrong.

But the lack of the interior monologue that Rob has (and then Cassie in book 2) is what really, really hamstrings it. It was what made it , if not unique, an important part of the appeal. Seeing the others through one person's eyes, faults and all.
Oct 2019
10:44am, 25 Oct 2019
15,373 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Episode 2 was the strongest, most faithful and hinted at some of the atmosphere, but the conflating of the two story lines I find confusing now, and if I find it hard having read the books, I'm sure people who don't know the stories, will be finding it harder.
Oct 2019
10:45am, 25 Oct 2019
25,876 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I haven't read the books, I watched episode 4 last night and I haven't a clue what's going on. I'm not totally sure, halfway through the series, who everyone is even. Not sure I can be bothered with the rest of it
Oct 2019
9:36pm, 25 Oct 2019
9,767 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Frank is definitely wrong! In my mind he should be one of those ridiculously charming Irish men but here he's just an odd mix of bland and weird. And Quigley is way too competent. I love their boss (Varys!) and I wish he had a bigger part.

I understand why they're blending the stories but they better not change how either one turns out!
Oct 2019
9:41pm, 25 Oct 2019
41,583 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I can’t remember who Frank is. Not having read the books, I’m enjoying it and like that I don’t totally understand it. I’d still like to read the books which I believe will be a totally different and more satisfying experience.
Oct 2019
9:44pm, 25 Oct 2019
15,279 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Yes Chris, FRANK IS COMPLETELY WRONG.

Sorry, had to use caps.
Oct 2019
9:48pm, 25 Oct 2019
15,280 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Raffo has given up on it he dislikes it so much. He loves the books.

I really don't like the way the stories are melded together. Part of the charm of the books is that they stand alone and one character comes forward into the next book - and takes on the narration.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I know there are a few Tana French fans in here. Are you watching the BBC adaptation of the first tw...