•  
Chrisull
+1 Sharkie
Nov 2019
2:20pm, 5 Nov 2019
15,481 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Crikey, it's getting worse, half the good stuff about the Likeness (the interactions between the characters in the house), seems to have been thrown away. I'm sure several plot points have been condensed, and while being alluded to in the script, they can't make any sense if you haven't read the book. Expecting them to change at least one part of the end too tonight !
Nov 2019
2:40pm, 5 Nov 2019
15,310 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Oh Chris I've just mentioned Dublin Murders in my posts on the book thread! I hadn't seen this.

There is 'some' good about the adaptation. What I basically feel is that all six episodes should and should have been devoted to In the Woods. Rob is a good, nicely conflicted and complicated character - that comes over and he's well acted and mainly well written (apart from some clunkiness where he 'rejects' Cassie.

I want to take the whole series apart and re-write it - without re-reading the books. Just as a 'thing' in itself.
Nov 2019
2:43pm, 5 Nov 2019
41,998 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Please do Sharkie. Actually, let's set up Fetch Productions: Shows that will run and run.
Nov 2019
3:08pm, 5 Nov 2019
30,589 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yes, please do. I'm two eps behind, btw so might not check in for a while.
Nov 2019
10:31am, 9 Nov 2019
9,807 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I've just finished the series and it had good and bad points. I liked the camaraderie of the police squad and how even if they didn't get on they could still work together. The combining of the stories didn't work, it meant that the characters in The Likeness were just cardboard cutouts.

I was worried that they were going to cheer up the ending and have Cassie and Rob stay together and then solve what happened to his friends. Very relieved that they avoided this. Disappointed with the changes to Rosalind but I guess they couldn't go with the age angle because of the way the story was rewritten.

Wonder if they'll be a second series? I can't see how they can do the 3rd book as nearly all the cast will have to change. Plus would the bloke they've got playing Mackey (so wrong!) be able to carry the main part?
Nov 2019
10:20am, 13 Nov 2019
30,851 posts
  •  
LindsD
Finished it on Monday. I ended up quite liking it. It wasn't the books, of course, and it was a bit annoying that there were no hints at all about Katy's murderer, so if you hadn't read the books it must have come as a bit of a surprise. I thought Rosalind was sufficiently sociopathic, and I thought the chain of events rape/disappearance/unwanted child/unhappy marriage/ was quite well brought out. Rob, I thought, was done well.

AGree about the characters in The LIkeness, which meant that it was not believable, whereas in the book it totally was. You have to believe they would do anything for one another and that didn't come through in the TV. Shame they didn't just do one book at a time.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I know there are a few Tana French fans in here. Are you watching the BBC adaptation of the first tw...