Dublin Marathon

7 watchers
Jun 2014
1:53pm, 25 Jun 2014
75 posts
  •  
Chris_T117
My surprise birthday present last weekend was a long weekend in Dublin, including entry to the marathon. Never been to Dublin. Never been to Ireland. Very excited about the impending adventure.

According to the race details on here, 14 Fetchies are entered. I'd love to get any hints and tips from people who've raced it before and any general feedback about the race and about Dublin.

Is it really 'largely flat' like it says on the website? Does it get crowded on the route? All help and suggestions very much appreciated :)
Jun 2014
4:16pm, 25 Jun 2014
3,196 posts
  •  
fitzer
Great race, busy. 14000 I think. My home town, my first marathon. Couple of hills a long drag at 13 and a sharp one at 18 if they are running it anti clockwise. I think the change direction every year???

Very noisy as lots of American fans with swiss cow bells, gets tiring at 20 mile mark.

I may think about it this, Good luck
Jun 2014
4:36pm, 25 Jun 2014
8 posts
  •  
carlaboi
Hey Chris, Its a great marathon to do. Loads of spectators for most of it. This year the route has changed due to construction works in the city centre. The Dublin marathon website has a map of the new route. www.dublinmarathon.ie The hardest part this year I think will be the going up through the Phoenix park as its a long staright road with a slight incline. There is also a nasty hill not far from the park after that the route is ok except of course for the 20 mile! In general its a well run event with a decent medal, goodie bag and t-shirt.
Jun 2014
5:55pm, 25 Jun 2014
76 posts
  •  
Chris_T117
Thanks very much for that fitzer and carlaboi. I'll study the route and the website in general.

My only previous marathon was Brighton (home town) this year - lots of noisy support there but no Americans with cow bells! The hills are all done by mile 10 too, so I guess pacing needs to be good if there are hills late on.

Thanks again :)
Jun 2014
8:01pm, 25 Jun 2014
3,515 posts
  •  
Watford Wobble
No advice just to say it's a great marathon, lovely supporters and well just fun.

Enjoy.
Jun 2014
8:05pm, 25 Jun 2014
3,197 posts
  •  
fitzer
Do forget to have a pint of the black stuff for me!
Jun 2014
8:19pm, 25 Jun 2014
267 posts
  •  
Dave D
And what a top birthday present, full marks
Jun 2014
9:50pm, 25 Jun 2014
77 posts
  •  
Chris_T117
You're right there Dave - I bloody love my family!

Sounds like they made the right choice and the black stuff is definitely on the agenda, thanks everyone
Jun 2014
3:06pm, 27 Jun 2014
4,625 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Late to this, sorry.

Chris - it's a great marathon. They *don't* change route direction each year, it's been the same for years. I've run 5 of the last 6. But as carlaboi says, they have changed it a wee bit this year - it's broadly the same though. There's no substantial hills, but the short sharp one at 20m-ish (might have moved a mile or two now with the route change) does give you a bit of a shock... it's flat all the way home from there though.

I think it's a fast course (it's my 2 fastest marathons, I'm looking for another PB this year) - if that's what you're after. It's also well-supported on the route (at least in comparison to your average city marathon - obviously not like London or NYC. You certainly feel like the city stops and celebrates the race that weekend (it's actually on the Monday though, don't forget).

Baggage, water/aid stations, St. John's, expo - all well organised.

How crowded it is on the route depends whereabouts in the race you are, obviously. Tell us what sort of time you think you'll be round in, I'm sure someone here will know what that part of the race is like.
Jun 2014
8:01am, 29 Jun 2014
191 posts
  •  
RBNLMX
Great stuff - I've registered for this too. Hotels booked for night before & after, near to the start/finish. Thanks for the information.

About This Thread

Maintained by Old Mum
My surprise birthday present last weekend was a long weekend in Dublin, including entry to the marat...