Draughting - today in a race

3 watchers
Jan 2012
12:33am, 24 Jan 2012
2,105 posts
  •  
abdou
As a runner with the aerodynamic properties of an obelisk, I say sod off out from behind us, you cheeky gets!
Jan 2012
7:27am, 24 Jan 2012
2,112 posts
  •  
heebiejeebie
I have been advised to tuck in behind another runner in races, but my dislike of having another human within within six feet of me prevents it.
Jan 2012
7:34am, 24 Jan 2012
46,046 posts
  •  
Gobi
Drafting is racing

Well used strategy is to draft recover and then kick hard onto the next group
Jan 2012
7:37am, 24 Jan 2012
31,770 posts
  •  
mxhornet
I was taught at a young age to race intelligently and use every possible advantage, so yes I definitely say drafting or sitting in as I'd termed it is legitimate racing tactic.
Jan 2012
9:19am, 24 Jan 2012
4,274 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I've also learned from the opposite, in a half marathon, drafting in a small group, then decided to attempt to kick on to the next group, got half a minute ahead of previous group, couldn't catch next group, starting running out of juice, previous group caught me, and then I couldn't stay with them because I'd used up so much energy battling the wind on my own.
Jan 2012
9:21am, 24 Jan 2012
5,681 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
It's not the drafting I mind, it's the grunting and irritating breathing noises. Puts me right off.
Jan 2012
9:22am, 24 Jan 2012
4,275 posts
  •  
Chrisull
That's a good sign, the people around are breathing hard, if you're not hard pushed as them, it's a sign you might last longer.... although having said that the blokes who sounded in Sunday's race close to collapse next to me, both pushed on ahead by over a minute.
Jan 2012
3:00pm, 24 Jan 2012
350 posts
  •  
Lexo
As long as you take our shot at the front i think its fair game and has helped me to some of my better performances.ts always good in a race to run in a small group to gain a bit of an advantage particualry mid race through those miles you tend to have to grind out or in rough conditions..Dont know how much is physcoligcal rather than physical to be honest but it definatly works for me.. Although what s irritating is having someone sit in behind you the whole race then once youve done all the work steps it up in the last stretch to beat you...youy not gonig to make any friends with tactics like that!!!
Jan 2012
3:19pm, 24 Jan 2012
449 posts
  •  
Mark J
Listen if you want to draft behind me you're more than welcome. It's not like you're taking away any of my blistering pace is it? Never paid any attention to this before so can't say it'll be high on my list of frustrations now either. I can however see how it could be very annoying and a tad more cheeky on a bike. But at most people's running pace, i can't see any advantage being gained.
Jan 2012
3:23pm, 24 Jan 2012
768 posts
  •  
Mr Alf Tupper
in groups yes i would take turns each but at the sharp end of a race when going for 1st place its every man for himself

About This Thread

Maintained by Da Big Guy
Any racers today?
Any good draughting?
Does it really make any difference and does anyone have any...