DOMS from hell! - whats your strategy?

1 watcher
Aug 2011
8:12pm, 16 Aug 2011
1,121 posts
  •  
Lyns
Got the worst ever DOMS from hillwalking on sunday - not a big hill but a long steep and brutal descent :-(

what is your tried and tested DOMS treatment - yoga? stretching? running? bed?

so far i've worn compression tights two nights in a row and been to a yoga class and i still can't really face going downstairs.. it's still at the 'not funny' stage of actual pain rather than the slightly amusing stage where it's just stiff.

i've want to build my running up after a couple of months off and i've got to do a lot of hillwalking in the next six weeks prior to a trip to Peru in October so i can't afford to be laid up with DOMS every week.
Aug 2011
8:18pm, 16 Aug 2011
1,727 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
i find if i take a supplement for after exercise like lucozade recovery type thing i dont get doms - the othe month i did a marathon challenge thingy out the blue and with pretty much no prep- it was 5 miles fri night 8.1 sat and 13.1 sunday so after every race i took one of them sachets with water and i never got DOMS at all not even after sundays half- so since then after a particularly longer than normal run i always take one (sorry i cant be more precice on the name of the one i take because im not at home at the moment)
Aug 2011
8:21pm, 16 Aug 2011
13,300 posts
  •  
flanker
hot baths, stretching and ibu in the first instance to relieve the discomfort

then longer term, to build up strength for Peru - lots of hill walking; some gym work with squats, walking lunges; and general quad strengthening. And running, especially if it can include hills
Aug 2011
8:25pm, 16 Aug 2011
7,895 posts
  •  
Girlie
I find going downstairs backwards the day after a marathon helps- its less painful that way and staying mobile helps clear it.
After the Disney Marathon I was able to walk virtually normally 2 days later.
Aug 2011
8:30pm, 16 Aug 2011
9,409 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Hot baths with some stretching afterwards, try to do some easy walking and if you can maybe a relaxing sports massage.
Aug 2011
8:33pm, 16 Aug 2011
1,122 posts
  •  
Lyns
maybe i need to dose up on ibuprofen... does it really help the inflamation?

i'm just pissed off that i've now missed a run cause of the DOMS... only time for two more runs this week before next hillwalk this coming sunday (Buchail Etive Mor - at least one of those words isn't spelt right). cause of the lay off running lately i've got to make sure i take at least a day between runs to allow recovery.
Aug 2011
8:41pm, 16 Aug 2011
13,301 posts
  •  
flanker
yes it does help reduce inflammation.

sounds like you are going to have fun at the weekend - that's a good hill :)
Aug 2011
8:44pm, 16 Aug 2011
16,772 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Time. And, statistically, absolute rest is better than "active recovery" of any sort.
Aug 2011
8:49pm, 16 Aug 2011
1,123 posts
  •  
Lyns
really velociraptor? i thought that current thinking was to 'keep moving'.... don't know where i got that impression...
Aug 2011
8:51pm, 16 Aug 2011
1,233 posts
  •  
Salty Dog
wine :)
and cake.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Got the worst ever DOMS from hillwalking on sunday - not a big hill but a long steep and brutal desc...