Does anyone else use Fetch without a Garmin?

1 watcher
Mar 2016
1:40pm, 9 Mar 2016
2 posts
  •  
deansaliba
I've been using strava on my phone, I download the GPX file and then upload it to FETCH . It isn't the most reliable way of tracking my runs (I've apparently done several 3 minute miles so far), but a Garmin watch is a bit out of my price range at the moment.
Mar 2016
3:05pm, 9 Mar 2016
2 posts
  •  
Meadowsboy
I have not caught up with technology yet,i hae a watch with a timer and plot my routes on fetch then enter my runs manually so simple like me i suppose
Mar 2016
3:12pm, 9 Mar 2016
4,417 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
mostly yes although I do log my longer bike rides on garmin but don,t upload them anymore
Mar 2016
3:14pm, 9 Mar 2016
3,262 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
I use a Suunto, not a Garmin.
Mar 2016
3:48pm, 9 Mar 2016
20 posts
  •  
Broadsword
Thank you all for your input.

So it seems that there are the following ways of using Fetch:

-Just run
-Stop watch and manual upload to FE
-Garmin (or similar) then upload to Garmin Connect which then gets automatically copied over to FE
-Android (or iPhone) app with manual import to FE

Does anyone have a proven, actual working way to get activities from an Android app automatically into FE without owning a Garmin device?
Mar 2016
3:53pm, 9 Mar 2016
8 posts
  •  
Sinatra
I use a website called gmap-pedometer.com to work out the distance for my routes and then use my watch to record my time before logging them here at Fetch.
Mar 2016
4:02pm, 9 Mar 2016
9 posts
  •  
Sinatra
Of course you can log your times and distances on a spreadsheet and then import the data that way. There is a feature which will allow you to import training runs from your excel spreadsheet.
Mar 2016
4:04pm, 9 Mar 2016
498 posts
  •  
larkim
I never found a way to automate things from a phone unfortunately.

I could use strava which could be forced over to Garmin Connect automagically, but Garmin Connect seems to distinguish between uploads from devices (which it is happy then to allow to be background sync'd to FE) and uploads from other web services (which it doesn't then push in the background across to FE).

Tapiriik works to synchronise between a variety of different services, including giving the opportunity to automatically sync GPX files into a Dropbox folder, so I did start using that so that I didn't have to create the GPX file from strava each time, but the only way I've found of getting FE updated without any user intervention was to have a Garmin device uploading to Garmin Connect. In fact, it was one of the reasons why I swapped from a TomTom watch (after being a long time user of Android phone apps) to a Garmin watch in the end. Not the main reason, but definitely a tick in a box as feature I wanted to have.
Mar 2016
4:09pm, 9 Mar 2016
2,389 posts
  •  
Hackett
My Garmin is gathering dust on my bookshelves .......
Mar 2016
10:29pm, 9 Mar 2016
25,388 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Think larkims comprehensive post has prob confirmed what you have discovered Broadsword. Just get a Garmin? 50 quid? :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by Broadsword
Does anyone else use Fetch WITHOUT a Garmin?
If so, what do you use to record your activities?