Dodgy calf... any ideas?

1 watcher
Oct 2012
9:44pm, 15 Oct 2012
5,731 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I am getting pins & needles in my calf & foot when I run more than a couple of miles.

I misjudged a step (in the dark) at my inlaws last week, basically the sole of my foot hit the edge of a wooden step quite hard enough to make me yelp and wish I'd put the light on rather than try to sneak around quietly. It was ok the next day and I can walk on it fine but I developed P&N's about 2 mile into my run 2 days later and since then my calf is tightening when I run and makes it uncomfortable.

There is no sign of anything on my foot I can touch it and there's no pain so maybe thats not the cause? The tightness goes right up to below the back of my knee.

It may have no relevance to the step incident but cant think what else it can be. My trainers are not new, they are far from tight (dont like my trainers tight) and I've been running in them long enough that I dont think it would suddenly cause this problem.

I'd appreciate any idea/suggestions. Thanks
Oct 2012
9:46pm, 15 Oct 2012
5,721 posts
  •  
♣BelleVueRacer♣ of Beartown
Might be a lower back problem but that's just my experience. See an experienced physio is my best advice.
Oct 2012
11:24pm, 17 Oct 2012
5,734 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
thanks BV, I am giving myself a break from running for a few days still doing some stretches etc and hope it settles down, if not I will pop back to the physio (despite me saying I wouldnt see him again this year)

Never thought of it being potentially a back problem. Will definitely bear it in mind.
Oct 2012
11:30pm, 17 Oct 2012
37 posts
  •  
RRR-CAZ
Have you tried ice to calm it down. If you have a micro tear repeated stretching could make it worse. Rest & ice for 48hrs let the body do its work if no better see physio
Oct 2012
7:53am, 18 Oct 2012
5,735 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Not tried ice RRR-CAZ it's perfectly fine until mid run but I'll give it a go I'm away next 2 nights sure I can get ice from the bar, thanks. With yesterday I have got 4 rest days fingers crossed.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by geordiegirl
I am getting pins & needles in my calf & foot when I run more than a couple of miles.

I misjudged...