Doctor's advice is to not eat any fruit

7 watchers
Mar 2015
1:14pm, 10 Mar 2015
6,457 posts
  •  
Binks
Just been chatting to a work colleague. He seems to always be on some new diet where he is/isn't eating various things.

He has just told me that he is not to eat fruit as it has fructose in it. This reacts with yeast in the body which then causes all sorts of bother.

He says he's getting his advice from a Doctor and reading a lot. Don't have much info on his sources. However I am amazed that a doctor would suggest not eating any fruit, unless there was a specific allergy.

I think he has thyroid issues. Didn't want to press too much. He seems like a healthy, normal sized normal functioning chap, probably about 50.

I said he should come for our lunchtime run/walks but he said he needs to sort this nutrition thing out first so that he can have the energy.

I don't want to cause any fuss, but I am tempted to say that this no fruit thing is bollocks. I don't know whether this "doctor" is one of those who just photocopied the certificate and put it on the internet.

Anyone heard of similar circumstances?
Mar 2015
1:22pm, 10 Mar 2015
4,453 posts
  •  
Trin
I have had an under active thyroid for 10 years and was diagnosed with ME last year and haven't been able to do any exercise for 14 months.

I used to eat a reasonable amount of fruit but over the last couple months I have gone off it, I don't feel like I want to eat it... like my body is telling me no. I actually feel like I've got more energy, and I don't want to jump to conclusions but feel a bit better
Mar 2015
1:37pm, 10 Mar 2015
1,591 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
I have a yeast intolerance and cannot eat a lot of fruit as it bloats me and causes issues. That's just me - I try and have an apple and a banana a day but other than that it doesn't really happen
Mar 2015
1:39pm, 10 Mar 2015
6,458 posts
  •  
Binks
Ahhhh OK. The fact that two people have come up with the same thing puts me at ease. He is probably seeing a real doctor then.

Sorry to hear that Trin :( Hope you get back to it soon.
Mar 2015
1:57pm, 10 Mar 2015
3,855 posts
  •  
sallykate
Hmm. (Dr.) Zoe Harcombe has a thing about yeast and promotes a low-carb, high-fat diet with very little fruit except berries. It's not exactly unhealthy and some would argue that too much fructose does stress the liver.
Mar 2015
2:01pm, 10 Mar 2015
11,113 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
There's a FODMAPS diet that excludes a lot of fruit because of high fructose, but it allows:

Bananas

Blueberries

Boysenberry

Cantaloupe

Cranberry

Clementine

Dragonfruit

Grapes

Honeydew and Galia melons

Kiwifruit

Lemon including lemon juice

Lime

Mandarin

Orange

Passion fruit

Paw paw

Papaya

Pineapple

Raspberry

Rhubarb

Strawberry

Tangelo
Mar 2015
2:10pm, 10 Mar 2015
9,853 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Just because someone is a doctor (even a real one, not like say "Dr" McKeith) does not mean the won't come out with ideas (especially it would seem nutritional ones) varying from the dubiously founded to the batshit crazy.
Mar 2015
6:10pm, 10 Mar 2015
32,196 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
If he'd said he'd been told not to eat fruit by his dentist because it was bad for his teeth, I'd have been less dubious. Some folk with some bowel conditions do have to lay off the fruit a bit because they can't digest it, but the stuff about fructose and yeasties is in the same realm as crystals and reiki.
Mar 2015
6:16pm, 10 Mar 2015
18,350 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I go to regular nutrition panel talks and debates. They always recommend you eat fruit in season and that if you stew things like pears and apples they can be more easily digested as the cell wall starts to be broken down. I regularly stew pears with grated fresh ginger and sprinkle with cinnamon just before eating.
Mar 2015
6:18pm, 10 Mar 2015
24,337 posts
  •  
idio
I'm a bit fed up at the moment with all this don't eat this don't eat that crap that seems the craze with magazines and tv at the moment. I understand avoiding certain foods for medical reason such as my niece who's recently been diagnosed with celiac but having tried some of her food theirs no way i'd go gluten free unless I had to.

I work with a bloke who says he won't eat pastry it gives him head migraines and don't eat much fruit as it upsets his stomach but happily slouch in his seat shoving chocolate and chips down his throat that fat twat.

About This Thread

Maintained by Binks
Just been chatting to a work colleague. He seems to always be on some new diet where he is/isn't ea...