Do you regularly use more than one pair of running shoes?

7 watchers
Feb 2012
10:55am, 24 Feb 2012
413 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I'm asking lots of questions lately.

I purchased some Brooks Vapour 9's back in November. They helped me run a 10k PB so automatically I declared them the best shoe ever. Before that I had some Asic Gel thingies that were fine. I only ever have one pair on the go at a time though. One reason being the low mileage I clock, but also I assumed that if your feet liked one set of shoes, there was no real reason to go confusing them by adding another pair into the mix.

Running chap I was talking to last weekend said he was a big fan of running in different shoes. Just to mix things up a bit (he did stress that each should be fitted and so on, not leaping from a support shoe to a slipper etc).

I just wondered what people's thoughts on here were. Of course there is the money to consider, but do you personally like to own multiple pairs and spread out the usage, or do you buy one pair and run (heh) them into the ground? if you go for the multiple angle, any reason why?

This has probably been asked countless times, but I searched multiple shoes and it didn't give me much, sorry!
Feb 2012
10:57am, 24 Feb 2012
39,543 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I tried it
Just once

Didnt feel "safe" in the other model

Now i just have 4 pairs of the same make of shoe which I rotate
two kept exclusively for racing
I retire all my shoes at 500 mioles, but its noticeable that the racing ones always look much more "worn"
Feb 2012
10:58am, 24 Feb 2012
18,000 posts
  •  
Maclennane
I think that the theory goes the shoes should have time to un-squash after each run, so if you're out running regularly, rotating shoes is no bad thing.
For me, I've never had a bad pair of shoes, but I don't like now switching between my squashy adrenalines and my light mushas as they're so different they affect my gait, so tend to stick to lightweights and trail shoes where necessary. 4 pairs in all on the go at the moment.
Feb 2012
10:58am, 24 Feb 2012
39,544 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
ah yes
I do run every single day
Feb 2012
11:00am, 24 Feb 2012
9,605 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I generally run in 3 different pairs of innov8 shoes, 2 road shoes and an off-road pair. One pair of road shoes is lighter in weight than the other pair and are used for short races and gym work.
Feb 2012
11:13am, 24 Feb 2012
714 posts
  •  
WobblingTime
I usually run in Mizuno wave riders, but I was wearing them out ~200miles, so went off to Sweatshop for some advice. I ended up with a pair of wave enigma, which are lovely, made me realise how not particularly special the wave riders were. I'm rotating them at the moment, as the wave riders were pretty new when I bough the enigmas, but only doing my long runs in my enigmas. I also have some off-road shoes and a racing pair, for 10ks or shorter.
PQ
Feb 2012
11:15am, 24 Feb 2012
4,752 posts
  •  
PQ
I have 6 pairs that I rotate. They are all the same make and model except the trail shoes
Feb 2012
11:16am, 24 Feb 2012
15,414 posts
  •  
Thread killer here
No,

i always stick to the devil i know
Feb 2012
11:16am, 24 Feb 2012
1,079 posts
  •  
ultracollie
i rotate but only depending on if run is on trail or road,
Feb 2012
11:17am, 24 Feb 2012
39,550 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Look at you shoe fetishists;)

any advance on six pairs LOL

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
I'm asking lots of questions lately.

I purchased some Brooks Vapour 9's back in November. They ...