Johnny Blaze
Too many sprouts?
Aug 2021
9:36pm, 30 Aug 2021
2,198 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Here's a C&P of my comment on becca7's blog today -

After using Duolingo every day except a handful for the last 5 or more years I am becoming disillusioned with Duolingo.
Several months ago I finished top of the Diamond League at a time when there was a "big" reward for doing so. I got ..... nothing. In addition, the next week the division had completely different participants apart from a couple of users, which told me that the League is a fake designed to keep you using Duolingo. Since then I've let myself drop down the divisions.
Like you, I get frustrated at using perfectly good English phrases only to have them marked wrong.
Having written that, Duolingo is free, and it has enabled me to learn the basics of several languages.
JCB
Aug 2021
1:38am, 31 Aug 2021
2,567 posts
  •  
JCB
FL, there appears to be many different Diamond leagues, not just the one. People need to get promoted to it so are justifiably there. There are just so many people that they can't have just the one.

I did get top of the Diamond league recently and got a badge for it. What was the big reward you were expecting?
Aug 2021
7:10am, 31 Aug 2021
14,591 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
They claim over 500 million users - and about 40 million active users in any given month. Makes no sense at all to think there's just one diamond league of 30 people. If you don't like the leagues, just ignore them.

I've stopped using the Spanish because the new lessons are of such poor quality, but I expect in a year or two they'll have crowdsourced proper answers written by English speakers.
Aug 2021
9:52am, 31 Aug 2021
58,396 posts
  •  
GlennR
I thought the new Spanish lessons were mainly focused on aural comprehension, which isn’t a bad addition to the pack. Perhaps I’ve not met some of them yet.
Aug 2021
2:22pm, 31 Aug 2021
186 posts
  •  
Raggedy runner
Some of the English for the new Spanish lessons is atrocious. I had six messages one day from Duo to say that my answer had been accepted into their database but when I’ve re-encountered those phrases, the same nonsensical computer-translated phrases are required. I’m trying to ignore the leagues so that I can ease off on Duo and practise Spanish elsewhere.
Aug 2021
2:23pm, 31 Aug 2021
50,112 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Presumably these lessons are a bit more advanced. I have just started Spanish and I'm finding it okay so far.
Aug 2021
2:29pm, 31 Aug 2021
58,408 posts
  •  
GlennR
From what I'm reading here I suspect that McG and I are both in safe zone for different reasons. I don't have a problem, because Duo almost never asks me to write in English.
Aug 2021
2:34pm, 31 Aug 2021
50,113 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I did attempt Spanish a while ago and it seems that the voices have changed since then and they have a few more of them now. They are slightly 'overacty' but I don't really mind that. It may be helping my recall.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
The rabbit is crying about his shoes because they are small.