Do we believe in kinesiology tape?

4 watchers
Jan 2014
1:27pm, 31 Jan 2014
4,248 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Well, to do simply what I describe requires that the tape has some elasticity. Which sellotape doesn't have, really(*). And I bet duct tape too.

The only claim they could realistically make is that it's elastic and pretty adhesive, in the right combination, to distort the skin and tissue for the duration of it being stuck down.

(*) Actually, I just stretched some here, and it's more elastic than I thought. But it's modulus of elasticity is quite high - you need to pull quite hard to stretch it - and it probably wouldn't have enough adhesion to resist that force once released. So it would peel off your leg.
Jan 2014
1:30pm, 31 Jan 2014
4,249 posts
  •  
paul the builder
(x-post again, obv).

Rev - I know. Do you feel might benefit you. As long as people are trying this sort of thing with their eyes open, I don't object to it. I do object to people selling stuff with false (or untestable) claims though.
Jan 2014
1:37pm, 31 Jan 2014
1,468 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
Well, he's said he's going to put some on me next week, and I assume it's covered in the cost of the consultation (which is sufficiently eye-watering that I don't expect to pay extra for stuff like that). So, I'll see how it feels when it's on.

Then I'll decide if I want to buy some. Someone said it was ten quid - found it on physioroom.com for about four quid, and I daresay it's cheaper still on Amazon. What's a few quid, if it *might* make a difference? Bugger all, compared to two physio consultations and two new pairs of shoes.
Sep 2014
5:36pm, 4 Sep 2014
1,564 posts
  •  
Molesy
Much like Lazarus ...

I came across this earlier ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

How did your experiment of one go?
Sep 2014
6:24pm, 4 Sep 2014
2,824 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
I got a second application of tape from the physio the following week, but then didn't bother with more tape for the calf strain.

When I tore my meniscus about six weeks later, he taped me again. Differently, obviously. And I can honestly say I felt a difference when the tape was on compared to when it wasn't. I was much more comfortable - whenever the time came for it to peel off, there was a noticeable increase in discomfort. Which went away when I taped myself again.

I continued using tape on my knee till early July.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
Been to the physio today, 8 days after my second calf strain in a month. I've got to get OH to kne...