Do we believe in kinesiology tape?

4 watchers
Jan 2014
8:18am, 31 Jan 2014
27,336 posts
  •  
Nellers
The idea is that by sticking the tape to the injured area it pulls the top layer of skin upwards and increases bloodflow thereby speeding recovery.

Physics should tell you that this is unlikely to work. Think about it: It's like standing in a bucket and pulling upwards ont he handle and expecting that to get you off the ground.

It may help in the traditional taping sense of restricting movement/supporting an injured joint but beyond that it'll do what you believe it will do, only more expensively and with better PR.
Jan 2014
8:42am, 31 Jan 2014
914 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
I had this put on my foot by physio after I had broken it and it really seemed to help. Have used it several times since and always found it helps. Physio showed me how to apply it, but you must have rest days using it (so they told me - I think it was 5 days on max and 3 days rest).

I always keep some at home and get mine from Amazon.
Jan 2014
9:52am, 31 Jan 2014
17,177 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Its the kinesiology part that is expensive witchcraft. Taping in general is well established, but the suggestion that the expensive and pretty coloured stuff has an added effect is hard to justify.
Jan 2014
9:55am, 31 Jan 2014
4,239 posts
  •  
paul the builder
DG - ""It can't be a placebo. It's been wholly embraced by the physiotherapy community round these parts. ""

I think you missed out the winky after that post?
Jan 2014
9:56am, 31 Jan 2014
5,681 posts
  •  
Footpad
Only the pink version works... anyone knows that!
Jan 2014
9:59am, 31 Jan 2014
4,240 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Johnny - "taping is well established". Genuine question - to what effect, and what form of taping? Presumably the 'lifting the tissue' idea of kinesiology is bollocks, right? So are we just talking about taping for partial immobilization? Or something more?

(I used to put tape on my head to prevent cauliflower ears when playing rugby. I'm pretty sure that's not just placebo.)
Jan 2014
10:05am, 31 Jan 2014
513 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
Placebos work even better if the person prescribing believes in them, so I think it's good that the physio community has embraced it.

There's a lot to be said for the psychological elements of having a ritual that prepares you for te activity (putting on the tape in a special way), the confidence you get from knowing that the tape is helping you, the bright colours advertising to people that you've overcome some injury etc.
Jan 2014
10:12am, 31 Jan 2014
17,179 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Absolutely Paul, partial immobilisation and a bit of support. Reduces pain and I think the immobilisation reduces inflammation. Applied in this way a bandage, a bit of silk tape or even some purple magic tape might help. But the purple magic tape has never ben shown to do anything more.
You might even argue that using pre-cut chunks of magic tape from amazon will be less effective as they are applied imprecisely and maybe incorrectly (compared to the taping that we see being applied by experienced physios).

Kinesiology is just one product of a large industry selling pseudo-science to credulous and potentially desperate runners. Some of these we can spot as bullshit from a mile away (Trionz??), But consider the claims made for the particular density of EVA foam in the shoes you wear. Are they really any different to the others? Or the complex blend of fructose and amino acids in the energy bars that are sold, are these actually better than a Tesco brand flapjack?

People believe this and seem to enjoy wpending their money on it.

(I will admit to not being immune to this, I have a pair of Adizero Boosts)
Jan 2014
11:03am, 31 Jan 2014
4,241 posts
  •  
paul the builder
And you were doing so well...
Jan 2014
11:13am, 31 Jan 2014
2,235 posts
  •  
minardi.
I would get some if I were you Rev - it certainly won't harm. Take a couple of photos once the fizz has done it for you so you have a record of how it was done.. Or google it and there will be a video showing you how to apply it.

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
Been to the physio today, 8 days after my second calf strain in a month. I've got to get OH to kne...