Do I need trail shoes for UK mud?

2 watchers
Nov 2020
12:00pm, 23 Nov 2020
4,049 posts
  •  
Kieren
Sundays long run was on Hampstead Heath / Parliament Hill. It hadn't rained heavily so I wore my zero grip Nike Epic reacts & had to cancel as it was very muddy/ slippery (the Heath in on a river - hence public bathing pools, which I forgot)

I have some Nike Pegasus (road) which have small lugs and might do better. I was wondering if investing in trail shoes is worth it or just try my luck with the Pegasus? I'd be running about 10KM on the road to get to the mud.

Parliament Hill often hosts the National Cross Country and I've slipped before in spikes that get clogged - with that in mind, are trail shoes any benefit in this use case?

I'm unlikely, at least in the short term, to have a need for rocks, shingle type of trail. Just mud & tree roots mixed with tight packed paths or tarmac.
Nov 2020
12:04pm, 23 Nov 2020
21,168 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
someone will be along in a minute to mention "Inov-8's" or "mudclaws"
Nov 2020
12:07pm, 23 Nov 2020
11,216 posts
  •  
MazH
It depends on whether you are really watching pace.

Some trail shoes are heavier, and if you're the type of runner who goes light for speed

gains, the 10km on road to get there in a heavy shoe might be a deal breaker..........

altho I am sure there are "light" trail shoes out there.

and as Chiefy says, you might have to move out of Nike for a trail shoe. Just do it, but not in the mud
Nov 2020
12:09pm, 23 Nov 2020
21,438 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I have some Nike Air Zooms which I think have a similar sole. Fine in conditions where, say, a decentish path has got a bit wet and claggy. Near useless for the conditions you describe.
Nov 2020
12:12pm, 23 Nov 2020
4,034 posts
  •  
StuH
I've seen quite a few positive reviews for the Nike Wildhorse 6, although if you're spending a significant portion of the run on tarmac Pegasus Trail may be better suited?
Nov 2020
12:16pm, 23 Nov 2020
12,324 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Mudclaws or X-Talon would be overkill on grass (even muddy grass) unless racing a proper race.

I certainly wouldn't run 10km in the road in them. You'll have no grip left after 3 runs.

The solution though, is obvious.

Get some Mudclaws and then go to the fells and run there.
Nov 2020
12:30pm, 23 Nov 2020
12,745 posts
  •  
larkim
Mud and tree roots are highly likely to be very slippy in any sort of road shoes, but there is an aspect to which it only makes a big difference if you're running at any pace.

I do make a point of wearing "some" trail shoes when I don't run on the roads in the wetter months, simply because the claggy, slippy mud that we get round here becomes like ice unless there is a lug which can get down into the mud and find some purchase. Nothing fancy though, either some bog standard Asics / Brooks trail specific shoes if cheap, or something a bit more "luggy" like Inov-8 roclites.

I work on the basis that shoes last a finite amount of miles, and I will run a set distance. So if I have to invest in shoes which are terrain specific they are just displaying miles on road shoes so there is no real cost to me.
Nov 2020
1:05pm, 23 Nov 2020
4,050 posts
  •  
Kieren
Thanks for feedback so far. Here is a picture for some context.

Poor shoe choice, selected because I thought it would be dry and I'm increasing my training load and these are kindest to my legs. I headed to the Heath for undulation & soft underfoot I'm the same thinking. Just didn't think about rain.

The tarmac is a problem. I can commute to the Heath with either 2 buses or 2 trains but even at a jog pace, it's faster to run. Hiring a Santander bicycle might be an option where I won't wear out more suitable shoes.

I might also ask on my clubs Facebook group as there might be some who run in similar constraints.
Nov 2020
7:57pm, 24 Nov 2020
18,696 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I find that trail shoes help somewhat when out on my local trails

mudclaws, roclites or similar
Nov 2020
7:58pm, 24 Nov 2020
18,697 posts
  •  
Rosehip
roclites are ok for the tarmac in between the mud trails, I meant to say

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
Sundays long run was on Hampstead Heath / Parliament Hill. It hadn't rained heavily so I wore ...