Diving - how to learn?

3 watchers
um
Sep 2021
9:09am, 15 Sep 2021
5,162 posts
  •  
um
How about you stand in front, in the water, and he dives over you?
Or something (like a float) 10-15ft away that he has to dive to reach before hitting the water?
um
Sep 2021
9:10am, 15 Sep 2021
5,163 posts
  •  
um
I mean 'he tries to reach', not 'he has to'
Sep 2021
2:40pm, 15 Sep 2021
23,218 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
We teach kids to dive from kneeling on one knee. Make sure he keeps his head down and his shoulders squeezing his ears. Rotation is the key; persistence pays off. Diving over a noodle/woggle float can help sometimes. A mate of mine has a "noodle-joiner" which we use to make a circle to dive into, but we only use that for kids that can already dive.
Sep 2021
2:49pm, 15 Sep 2021
21,223 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Shoulders squeezing ears, that's a good way of putting it. Thanks.

If the pool's not too busy on Sunday afternoon we might have another try from kneeling.
Mar 2022
1:58pm, 14 Mar 2022
21,822 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Hey folks, I thought I'd update this thread's watcher.

We've changed pools recently, to the "proper" pool our side of town rather than the wave lagoon thing by the seaside. The leisure pool was getting far too busy and the only session we could make was an inflatable session.

The new pool is very recently built, and the water level comes right up to the side of the pool. The boy thought he'd have another couple of goes as the deep end is very quiet, so we went from seated, to kneeling on one leg, and then to crouching.

Because the water comes right up to poolside, he was able to put the tips of his fingers into the water before rolling forward, and by jove, he cracked it that way.

Practicing a few more times from crouching he understands the rolling motion now, so he's happy diving from standing.

We've since then gone to the raised end of the pool next to the starting blocks, and he's starting to get it there as well. It still looks a bit "forward-roll" to be efficient, but it's definitely a standing dive entering the pool hands first.

He's so glad. As am I.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Of the "hands first into the water from the side of the swimming pool" sort.

My boy, who is now 1...