Difference between men's and women's shoes?

3 watchers
May 2017
1:28pm, 14 May 2017
154 posts
  •  
Muttley
Those shoes I found in TKMaxx were my size, felt good and fitted okay so I bought them. A year later, I bring them out for use and discover that they're the ladies' model. I didn't think the ladies went up to size 11 but the girly pink trim and laces were a bit of a clue ...

So: does it matter? I held them up against another pair of the same model (Brooks Transcend 2) in the men's version and apart from colour they look identical. Are there any internal differences? And do I need to be well 'ard to run in pink shoes?
May 2017
1:30pm, 14 May 2017
29,120 posts
  •  
McGoohan
In general, but especially in trainers, running shoes, etc my wife buys men's shoes because her feet are wide and the women's ones usually come in a bit narrower.
May 2017
1:46pm, 14 May 2017
34,735 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
I'm surprised women's shoes are available in size 11! As long as they're comfy who gives a shit whether they're pink or green with red polka dots? :)
May 2017
2:29pm, 14 May 2017
1,738 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Definitely what Fleecy says!
My OH and I share a lot of running clothing, shorts/tops etc... If it works, use it :-)

On the colour front, my shoes for playing football indoors in were bright pink and luminous yellow. Apparently the brighter they are, the cheaper they are :-p Really couldn't care less :-)

McGoohan is right that there is often a width difference though.
May 2017
2:35pm, 14 May 2017
10,568 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I have men's shoes on occasion - they are a little wider sometimes, Mr AL bought some ladies' NB shoes a while back - they were reduced to £15 from over 100 - at that price he didn't object to a bit of pink!
May 2017
2:38pm, 14 May 2017
11,495 posts
  •  
Sharkie
They are reputedly made on different lasts. The heel cup (or whatever it's called) can be narrower too - and sometimes that's good, although I often buy men's trainers/spikes because of the width thing.

Depends what firs best overall really.

And in my case what's cheap at the time!
May 2017
2:56pm, 14 May 2017
155 posts
  •  
Muttley
I took another look, placed them side by side against the men's, etc ... and I can't for the life of me see any difference. They seem identical, at least externally.

I'm wondering if the difference in pelvis and leg shape between the genders has any effect?

But if they feel and fit okay, I'm going to wear them. I'm fine with pink, I've been through the diversity awareness sessions :)
May 2017
3:57pm, 14 May 2017
25,973 posts
  •  
alpenrose
I bought men's in the sale last time round. I was told that the last is a bit different and the heel area is a bit wider. I just did that extra high lacing thing and have no problems, so I'm sure it works the other way too. Enjoy being a princess pink. :)
May 2017
7:19pm, 14 May 2017
492 posts
  •  
Oranj
I have small feet (EU 42.5) and often snap up women's shoes in sports shop sales. They are definitely a bit narrower than the equivalent men's sizes, but I have quite narrow feet anyway and that's only a problem if I'm running a bit more than ~15k, when I start to notice them pinching my toes.

I'm currently racing in a vibrant pink pair of Hoka One One :-)
May 2017
8:14pm, 15 May 2017
34,760 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
Lol, love it :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Muttley
Those shoes I found in TKMaxx were my size, felt good and fitted okay so I bought them. A year later...