Gobi
Cumulative fatigue

Nice :-)
Feb 2018
5:10pm, 8 Feb 2018
2,676 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
I'd be delighted to get within 5sec of hmp for 5miles continuous.
J2R
Feb 2018
6:41pm, 8 Feb 2018
1,014 posts
  •  
J2R
You must be able to achieve it for a half marathon, though, NN? Otherwise it wouldn't be HMP.
Feb 2018
11:53am, 9 Feb 2018
2,677 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
Yes under ideal race conditions and well rested.

In training that's very hard work for me. I have to break it into chunks. But then I've never been one for cracking out the long tempos. Others seem much better at it and can handle and recover from that volume/intensity more easily.

Fair play to you. Doing it again?
J2R
Feb 2018
1:13pm, 9 Feb 2018
1,015 posts
  •  
J2R
I didn't find it too problematic, to be honest. I stopped after 5.4 miles of HM pace because I'd got to the cafe I'd been aiming for and immediately went to work on recovery nutrition - a bacon butty and a mug of tea. I wouldn't want to do it often, though, because I'm pretty sure it takes a lot out of me. I think I'd only be incorporating this kind of race-specific preparation late on the training, when the base building is done.

I'm not one for cracking out the long tempos myself, either - in fact I don't normally do tempo runs as part of my training, going much more for the polarized training approach. In effect, though, I often find myself doing a bunch of races at distances like 10K and 10 miles in the months preceding a half marathon, and they are obviously tempo-ish (the 10 miler specifically, in that the classic tempo run pace is what you can sustain for an hour, which is around what I do the 10 miler in).
Feb 2018
3:58pm, 9 Feb 2018
2,678 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
Yes although the classic Daniels run at that pace is only 20mins. At 60mins he would have you at marathon pace.

As you suggest a good training run close to a main race when in good shape.

How long now till your half? I guess you must feel in good shape?
J2R
Feb 2018
4:53pm, 9 Feb 2018
1,017 posts
  •  
J2R
NN, you're right about Daniels and the 20 minute tempo. I'm not really thinking of this as a tempo run, though, so much as a bout of race pace running. Tempo runs don't really figure in the polarized training approach - in fact, they're largely avoided as being something which stresses your system a lot without providing any worthwhile benefits (over and above easier runs which do less damage).

The HM is on 4th March in Cambridge, a fast, flat course. I feel in decent shape, as I know the speed is there. I need to do a couple more long runs before I'll feel confident that the stamina is there, too. But a sub-36 10K last month indicates a possible sub-80, especially as I missed out by only 10 seconds on a slightly harder course in November (and I would say I'm fitter now). If it all goes OK on the day, I should do it. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway :).
Feb 2018
5:48pm, 9 Feb 2018
20,508 posts
  •  
DocMoye
See you in Cambridge ( well I might see the trail of dust you leave behind !!) my HM PB was set at Cambridge.
J2R
Mar 2018
11:38am, 7 Mar 2018
1,031 posts
  •  
J2R
I think I must have a special aptitude for near misses. I ran a maddeningly close 1:20:03 on the day (I've run 1:20:12 and 1:20:10 before). Perfect conditions, and I was clearly very well trained. But various snow-related activities in the previous couple of weeks had left me with sore, tired legs at the start, which was a shame. Still, it was a PB, and I won my age group by nearly 8 minutes, which helped soften the blow.

How did you get on, DocMoye?
Mar 2018
12:00pm, 7 Mar 2018
2,707 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
Next time aim for 1.19!!! Well done. Congratulations on the pb and win.

About This Thread

Maintained by J2R
A question particularly for you super-fast guys on here who are running sub-80 minute half marathons...