Di Potassium Phosphate - is it race legal or doping?

6 watchers
Jan 2013
11:34am, 27 Jan 2013
3,577 posts
  •  
Kieren
I've just been reading about this and it seems like it could improve 5k times

"
More strikingly, the phosphate ingestion hiked VO2max by 9 per cent (from 74 to 80 ml/kg.min) and boosted ventilatory anaerobic threshold (similar to lactate threshold) by a whopping 12 per cent."
ref: pponline.co.uk

That study had some flaws so is NOT statistically relevant but a different like that could be a PB maker. I was just wondering if anyone had used it or even what the moral implactions are for legal performance enhancers (like aspirin / caffeine* etc)

*don't stack aspirin & caffeine - its dangerous!
Jan 2013
12:03pm, 27 Jan 2013
3,578 posts
  •  
Kieren
Just a quick follow up for Di Potassium Phosphate - below is a link to a review by the European Food Standards Agency from 2011.

To save you reading, it essentially says that the research studies that were done, weren't done well enough to determine a cause and effect relationship between this and improved performance.

Online user reviews seem to be good but these could easily be sellers. I'm not fit enough for it to be of any benefit to me but if I was close to 5KM PB time it would be interesting to see if loading for a couple of weeks would get a PB. If it did - is that moral?

docs.google.com
Jan 2013
3:39pm, 27 Jan 2013
410 posts
  •  
longwayround (LWR)
Taking competition and rules entirely out of the equation, would you accept a PB that you acquired through using DPP?
Jan 2013
3:47pm, 27 Jan 2013
9,966 posts
  •  
paul a
Training can also improve your 5k time.........and all other times too for that matter.
Jan 2013
4:16pm, 27 Jan 2013
777 posts
  •  
GerryO
Interesting links Kieran. Do you know why these products are legal while various pharmaceuticals are not? Are the foodstuffs?
Jan 2013
4:17pm, 27 Jan 2013
23,727 posts
  •  
JenL
Is it one of those legal/moral dilemmas like tax evasion/tax avoidance?
Jan 2013
4:38pm, 27 Jan 2013
5,537 posts
  •  
The Pilotlight
don't believe the hype... even more so when a lab and scientist are involved. and no shit ingested will make you into pb monster, training does that.
Jan 2013
4:56pm, 27 Jan 2013
3,581 posts
  •  
Kieren
LWR - for a PB - if I am truthful - yes. I have had a strong coffee before a race for the goal - I'd class them as the same thing

For those mentioning training, I'm not discounting training at all, it's not an either this or that. Lots of people supplement with caffeine. Since the rules on that became less strict, lots of race gels have it included.

Then there are the people that take aspirin to make their blood thinner, some take barcarbonate of soda (if their stomach can handle it) to delay fatigue.

Some people (US olympic team for example) add vitamin D - which is essentially a hormone.

Some altitude train to increase levels of EPO

Pros run with paces, amateurs run with watches that set a pace, tell us our heart rate. Everyone does something to give them an advantage. If it's within the rules, I guess it's OK.

Gerry-o I guess it's legal because its available in food and hence widely available. Simulants on the hand, like caffeine probably shouldn't be legal but are so widely used that they are impossible to ban if you want anyone competing
SPR
Jan 2013
5:07pm, 27 Jan 2013
17,905 posts
  •  
SPR
Bicarbonate of soda is supposed to help with lactic buffering.
Jan 2013
5:18pm, 27 Jan 2013
780 posts
  •  
GerryO
Some of the widely available gels and drinks have so much caffeine included that you virtually rattle after using them. Oh,

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
I've just been reading about this and it seems like it could improve 5k times

"
More strikingl...